Pages

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Valentine/anniversary card using Sweet Summer

I have had such fun making Valentine's cards over the last few weeks that it'll almost be a shame to stop! Today I've made one using Sweet Summer, one of the Sale-a-bration sets you get to choose free every time you spend £45 with me (click here to see them all.) If you'd like to place an order, click here to email me or phone me on 01280 820593 - I'm always happy to help.


I have become rather attached to my crimper and this is one of my favourite ways to use it - crimping two thirds of the way up a piece of card stock. I used it here as the 'earth' for my flowers. The sky was made by masking the edges of the card base and sponging with Bashful Blue ink.


The stalk and leaves image from this set (did I mention it's FREE?!!!) is one of the most useful types of image ever. Put them in a group of three and top with flower heads, either from the set or punched out, and you have an almost instant card! Here I've used the little heart punch - which is only £4.95 and is the most fantastic streamlined shape making it so easy to store.


The nesting circle punches were among my first Stampin' Up purchases and barely a day goes by without them being used. I love the way you can make cute little badges and tags with them - like this one, with the adorable little bird from Sweet Summer. The words are from various stamps in the Basic Phrases set. This set is a great investment as, with the stamp-a-majig, you can make it say almost anything! (In fact, this is a game my daughter and I love to play... I won't bore you with the sentences we've made as I can imagine that the things my daughter and I clutch our sides laughing at may merely cause a raised eyebrow among my sophisticated readers!)

Here's how to make this card:
  • Cut a 9cm x 10cm piece of Early Espresso card stock. Crimp it two thirds of the way up and decorate the edge with the scallop border punch.
  • Cut an A5 piece of Very Vanilla card stock. Score and fold in half to make a card base.
  • Using the crimped card stock as a guide, mask off the edges of the card base and sponge a sky with Bashful Blue ink. Knot a piece of Old Olive satin ribbon round the Early Espresso card stock and glue to the card front.
  • Stamp the stalk-and-leaf image three times on Very Vanilla card stock using Old Olive ink. Colour these with Old Olive ink and an aqua painter and cut them out. Tuck them under the ribbon and glue into place. Punch three Cherry Cobbler hearts and fix on top of the stalks with dimensionals.
  • Stamp a sentiment onto a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock using Cherry Cobbler ink. Cut out with a 1 1/4" punch and sponge with Bashful Blue ink. Mount onto a Cherry Cobbler circle cut using a 1 3/8" circle punch. 
  • Decorate the badge with a little bird, stamped in More Mustard, coloured with a Daffodil Delight marker and cut out with paper snips. Use a More Mustard marker to draw in his legs. Attach the badge to the card front using dimensionals.

Supplies
Stamps: Sweet Summer (free Sale-a-bration set), Basic Phrases
Ink: Bashful Blue, Old Olive
Card stock: Very Vanilla, Early Espresso, Cherry Cobbler
Other: Markers, Old Olive satin ribbon, 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and small heart punches

Thank goodness the wind has stopped! Whenever it's windy, my house feels as if I've thrown all the windows and doors open! I ventured out into the garden today and... (drumroll...) THERE ARE SNOWDROPS!!! That proves that spring is on its way, doesn't it? And that means that at some stage in the near future, I could maybe go without one or two of the eighteen jumpers I'm currently wearing! That makes me feel even more Valentine-ish.

Thanks for dropping in today. Do come back tomorrow when I'll have something yummy to show you!
Hope to see you then,

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card, love the effect you have got from the crimper. There is a hall near me that is famous for it's snowdrops and the signs are out for visitors, so Spring is def on it's way :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw this card I wondered how you got those perfectly spaced lines on the "dirt." The light and dark effect in the picture is quite interesting. I never would have guessed it was a crimper! I'm very jealous to hear that you've seen signs of spring. I am still seeing quite a bit of snow with a little more forecast this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fresh springtime valentines card! totally cute :) have a nice day, Vicky. Janna

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOvely card Vicky.. I love all the details. I must learn to be patient and quick like you. Love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Vicky,

    I've just got back from my belated birthday pressie trip to Iceland so have been away from Blogland for a few days. Imagine my delight at checking your blog this morning and finding so many new posts to read through. I adore your Chinese New Year cards. They are so lovely. Especially the detail of stamping the rabbit on the inside of the card.

    Love your Valentines day card too. Dont tell anyone but I (*shock horror*) bought my partners card this year. I fell in love with a card for him that I knew I wouldnt be able to reproduce myself so I actually parted with cash for one (cannot remember the last time i actually bought a card for anyone?!).

    Right, I'm off to try out your crimping technique.

    S
    -X-

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty, pretty card this is. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever card Vicky - love it! Know what you mean about the 18 jumpers, will be good to go down to 2 or 3 won't it? :0)
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fabulous! I love the crimping - never seen that before.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic Vicky. I love the design - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so creative, Vicky! I love everything about this card, especially the heart plants!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely Vicky, love the way you've combined the heart punch with the sweet summer set.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way you used the crimper... don't believe I've seen it done quite like that before. And it does make the perfect garden for your flowers to grow in... nothing like some furrowed land to make you think spring is on its way! Oh, and, of course, I love that sweet little bird perched on the sentiment... he's winging his way to join my collection right now. It'll be good to have another cute bird that I can use on my SU projects.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)