Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Less is More challenge 5 - using the Neighborhood wheel

I have really enjoyed the challenges on the fresh, new Less is More site  and was eager to see what Chrissie and Mandi would set for challenge 5. It's all about colour this week - we are asked to make a card using pastel shades. So, here's what I came up with:


I couldn't put my Neighborhood wheel down now I've rediscovered it, and anyway I thought that ice-cream coloured houses would definitely fit the bill. Out came my trusty aqua painter and my beautiful water colour paper! If you haven't tried these items yet - go on! Treat yourself! They have brought me hours of pleasure. They'd make a perfect gift too...


I planned a garland of spring blossom to add the finishing touch but, as you can see, I let my imagination run away with me a bit... I mean, who ever saw blue blossom?!! Never mind, you get the idea I'm sure! The garland is made from flowers cut out of the circle image in the Just Believe stamp set and leaves cut with the 2-step bird punch. You could also use a punch to make flowers if you wanted a quicker card. The Happy Birthday sentiment is from Party This Way and I love it - it has such a happy feel!

Here's how to make this card:

  • Score and fold an A5 piece of Crumb Cake card stock in half to make a card base. Mask off the top 7cm of the card front with post-it notes and sponge the bottom of the card with Crumb Cake ink to darken it a little.
  • Stamp the Neighborhood wheel onto water colour paper using Basic Grey ink. (I don't find it necessary to use Stazon as long as I'm careful when watercolouring.)
  • Select three houses  and paint them in ice cream colours. The technique I use is to colour round the edges with markers and then draw the colour in with an aqua painter. Use colours from the Subtles family plus Basic Grey for the roofs and the steps. Leave to dry for a few minutes and then cut the houses out using sharp paper snips. Glue them to the card front, using the darker section as an anchor.
  • Stamp a sentiment in Basic Black ink, using a stamp-a-majig to make sure it's straight.
  • Stamp the floral circle image from Just Believe ten times onto Whisper White card stock, using pinks and mauves (and blues if you're feeling a bit wacky!) Cut the flowers out using paper snips, leaving a border of the colour round their edges. Define the seeds in their centres with a Basic Black marker.
  • Cut three leaves from Certainly Celery card stock, using the 2-step bird punch. Add definition to them with a Certainly Celery marker.
  • Use the flowers and leaves to make a garland under the houses, using dimensionals to pop some of the flowers up.

Supplies
Stamps: Neighborhood wheel
Ink: Basic Black, Basic Grey, Subtles inks and markers
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Certainly Celery, Water colour paper
Other: 2-step bird punch, Basic Black marker

Do you ever dream of a day where only amazingly brilliant things happen? Of course, days like that never, ever happen - right? Wrong! Yesterday, my youngest son had a day like that! He was just getting ready for a humdrum day when I got a text from his school saying it was having to close due to a power failure - his face was a picture when I told him! While I was suggesting we use the time to get him some new school shoes (boring!) the phone rang - it was a friend inviting him for lunch and a play in the park. I told him we'd get home in time for that but, before we could leave, another friend phoned and asked him round for the morning! The impromptu day off could have been a cold, rainy one - but no! To make it even more of a miracle the sun was shining in a cloudless blue sky, so he and his friends spent the day romping around in the sunshine. When I tucked him up in bed last night, I asked him if he'd had a good day. He gave me a huge smile. "It was perfect!" he said.

Thank you for your company today and I hope you've enjoyed your visit here. I shall be back tomorrow with a gift idea made with the Neighborhood wheel and I hope you'll come and see it. Until then I wish you a 'perfect day'!

36 comments:

  1. Another beauty Vicky.
    You are SO inventive with your use of stamps. SO many of us see a stamp for just what it is, but you have the insight to see what they CAN be!
    That flower garland is so pretty and I would never have guessed the source of the flowers!
    I love the Neighbourhood Wheel too and have used it many times as a whole or in part.
    You are a great source of inspiration Vicky. Thank you for yet another fabulous submission!
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great card xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Vicky
    So look forward to your stunning entries each week!
    And this is no exception, just fabulous
    Reminds me of Bermuda, their house s are painted so prettily!

    Thanks for entering again
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky - absolutely gorgeous. You are so creative. Love how you take stamps to the next level - I agree with Chrissie's comments. Thanks for the inspiration. Nicole x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Vicky,

    This is a stunning card. This is my favourite of all the wheels and love colouring in the houses (it takes me back to childhood colouring). This is such a great use of the houses (how had I never thought to cut them out before?). I am a couple of weeks behind with Less is More. But all your entries have been absolutely gorgeous and I am inspired to pick it up again this week.

    Your blog is still, as ever, is a pleasure to visit.

    -XXX-

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a cute little card! love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card. Wouldn't have thought of putting blossom along the bottom of the "Street". It works so well. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning card Vicki and those pastel colours against the Kraft card is lovely.
    And yes Somerset is beautiful....

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowsers Vicki!! You always come up with the MOST AMAZING ideas!! Just LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the flowers along the houses.. gorgeous.. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant card. I just love anything on 'Kraft' style card. That wheel stamp is very tempting and your showing its many uses well. Love the colours,perfect for the theme.
    Lucky boy to be off on such a gorgeous day x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky
    Truly stunning...all your cards are Gorgeous.....soooo nice...
    Hugs
    sylvie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. a stunning card I love everything about it xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those colours set against the kraft coloured card, the whole design is perfect!!
    Thanks for popping by and commenting on my scrabble card...you're right a greeting would definitely finish it, (sadly I don't allow myself to use any proper cardmaking things for my blog!... but I think I will break the rule for this one!!)
    Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I love your card its amazing what you can do with that Neighborhood wheel I've used mine alot but never thought to cut the houses out , it looks great
    Hugs Susie Sugar xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your comments for my Circle Circus card
    I so love this set, I think it helps with the end result!
    Touched by your comments
    mandi x

    ReplyDelete
  17. 'Love it' as a certain lady in America is often heard to say.
    I have photocopied the picture in the catalogue on occasions which is a faff so really need my wheel to be delivered so I can do it the easy way.
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto to all of the above - I love your card and your blue blossom! - Jacqueline xx.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Vicky - I'm now running out of suitable adjectives for all your amazing creations, gonna have to invent some new words I think :0)
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely card, well done.
    Maureen.......x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another stunning creation - love every bit

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how the pastels look on kraft! Love everything about this card!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This card is also very very lovely, Vicky! You wanna make me search for my neighbourhood wheel lol. But honestly, these cards are so springlike and that is really what I need right now, thanks so much! Janna

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this-the use of the flowers really sets this card apart.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your card, I had'nt seen the wheel before but now I think I "need" it ! love the flowers and the use of kraft card too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Himalayan Blue Poppies are something to behold and quite rare but they do exist... You should Google them and let me know what you think...

    Please can you tell me what a Neighbourhood Wheel is?

    Your card is so beautiful and reminds me of a terraced street, great colours and depth:-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cute card...and so very creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very creative and very striking card. LOVE IT. Note to self . . . buy some Kraft Card!
    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your card Vicky and love that neighbourhood stamp too ...
    i am going to a stampin up class soon really looking forward to it.

    Babs x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Vicky
    Thanks for telling me what the wheel is about. I have something similar called a Rollergraph and am going to see if there is a wheel similar your version to use with that:-) x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another great card again Vicky, love it, not seen the wheel idea before either.I know what you mean about not enough pancake mixture! Used to take me ages to make them for all my 3 children....now all left the nest now so just me and hubby....still managed to down 5 each he he( albiet very thin ones! :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great card, love it!! - may have to 'steal' the idea somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hope you don't mind Vicky, I have mentioned your card (with link) on my blog as I have been inspired to make a house card similar to yours for my daughter.
    Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  34. The pastel houses look great on the kraft and the flower garland is a lovely touch - great card!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now you're convincing me that I need the jumbo wheel with the houses on it, some watercolor paper, and an aquapainter. And, yes, I did run upstairs to check... Bella Toile is available and I'm quite sure will be on my April order at stamp club! Love this card with the little houses resting atop a garland of flowers. Really sweet card. (Also sounds like your son's day was a dream come true for a boy of his age!... Hey, it'd be perfect for a girl of my age, too! :) )

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)