Pages

Monday 21 March 2011

Masculine Monday - using Newsprint DP

Good morning! When I looked at my favourite challenge site Less is More today, I was delighted to see that Chrissie and Mandi have challenged us to produce a masculine card... which fits in rather well with my weekly series on that very subject!

There's very little stamping on my card today!


I was inspired by the wonderful Newsprint designer paper - perfect for masculine cards! - and have stuck  to a simple red, black and cream colour palette. The textured effect on the front of the card base is achieved by inserting the card stock a little way into my crimper before starting, and only turning the handle a little way.


On some of the Newsprint papers there are pictures like this one which can easily be cut out and used as the focal point of a card. As well as this gorgeous vintage bicycle, there's a rocking chair and a pair of spectacles (which might appear on a card for my dad at some stage as he can never find his own glasses!)


It was easy to make some cogs and washers using punches and I was rather pleased with the bicycle chain effect on the sentiment, which is from the Punch Bunch Sale-a-bration stamp set. This promotion has finished now, so the set is no longer available, but do click the Specials tab at the top of my blog for current special offers.

Here's how to make this card:

  • Cut an A4 sheet of Cherry Cobbler card stock in half vertically. Score and fold in half to make a card base.
  • Insert the card front a little way into the crimper and turn the handle until you have about nine or ten crimped lines.
  • Cut a piece of the dark Newsprint designer paper to make a background, being careful about what words might show - I used mine upside down so that no words leapt out at you! My piece is 5cm x 9cm. Cut a focal picture to fit the space at the top of the background and attach it with dimensionals. 
  • Stamp the sentiment onto Very Vanilla card stock using Basic Black ink. Cut out a Happy Birthday tab to use later and cut a 'bicycle chain' out of the remainder of the sentiment. Cut out some cogs and washers using punches and arrange them, with the chain, on the background. Tie a piece of linen thread through one of the washers and round the paper. Glue everything down and attach the paper to the card base.
  • Glue the sentiment to the side of the focal image.

Supplies
Stamps: Punch Bunch (retired Sale-a-bration set)
Ink: Basic Black
Card stock: Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla, Basic Black
Other: Punches (I used Boho Blossoms for the cog and 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4" circle punches for the washers), linen thread, crimper

I hope you've all had an excellent weekend. We've all been spring cleaning for two days solid! My lovely children rolled up their sleeves too, with my eldest son cleaning all the ground floor windows inside and out; my youngest son valeting the car; and my daughter clearing out the airing cupboard. It astonishes me how much stuff we have accumulated over the winter and it certainly feels good to have a clear-out.

Thank you for popping in today. Don't forget to leave me a comment so that I can return your visit - I love seeing what you've been up to!

I'll be back tomorrow with another project and hope to see you then.
Enjoy your Monday!

33 comments:

  1. Lovely card Vicky. I love the part texture...I could never get on with a paper crimper:(
    I thought of your masculine monday slot when I saw the theme on LIM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super card Vicki......... love that dsp and what a great way to use it. tfs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicky! It might be a masculine card, but I would also love getting such a gorgeous card ;-) It is my favourite color combo and the bike is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing! Janna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to seeing your cards Vicky, your work is always so innovative, and today is no exception.
    Your exploitation of stamps is fabulous and to use a paper in this manner is so enterprising. Simply wonderful!
    I love this card!
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great card again today Vicky - love the Newsprint DSP. I will certainly have to think about buying some of that as I have to make my husband a rather special card this year for his BIG birthday! - Jacqueline xx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a super card, that stamp is great and I love the way you have put everything together.

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Chrissie, I always look forward to seeing your creations too.Love how you use the vintage images from old papers.......I have old papers too( idea!!). Love the colours,crimping etc. too, well done again.I am getting carried away by doing these cards now lol. I have also been spring cleaning, my OH has been helping me as my hands are stiff and sore yet.....darn it...I so want to do more!...am rambling again..sorry !!! :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning card, love the colours, the image, layout. It's fab. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another stunner Vicky. Lovely to see a bright colour for a male. Love your treatment of the card. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowser, what a ounchy card in that fab Cherry Cobbler colour - super

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooops - just hit enter as I realised that should have read Punchy!!!!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis is GORGEOUS!!! I love the colours.. so cool.. love bicycle and sentiments :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card very well put together. Thanks for inspiration!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeeee is that a velocipede?! Love it!
    Gem
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another fabulous card Vicky. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card Vicky. I love the newsprint too it's just soooo versatile! Zx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous, Vicky! The black and white images make a wonderful, strong masculine card on a red base. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning card with lots going on and great texture with the twine. Fab masculine card:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely colour combo and use of your brilliant imagination (again!!)Vicky. Glad to hear you've got the kids well trained :0)
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  20. great design and looks good on the red card base

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great use of the papers on the red card - so striking. Fab idea to use your crimper like that too, shame mine is too narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fab colour. Love all the elements to this card and the texture. Sounds like you did a good clearing out job between you. Hugs Cherry XxX

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kudos to you for a CAS card without white or a neutral background! This is real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the image you chose...and the color combo is one of my favorites!! Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is in a class all it's own. love everything about it!The striking colours, super layout and the texture added by the embossing are all brill!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi vicky
    Gorqgeous card ...so different...love it
    hugs
    sylvie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this is so inventive, love what you do with all your cards

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great card. I love the chain you made with the flower punch. Cherry Cobbler is such a greqt colour for a male card.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's a great idea to use the images from the dp. And those cogs you made! Very, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another brilliant card Vicky, as always. Love the crimping, very effective and how inspired it was to use red card.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful card..great idea to make washers using punches...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful card
    Hug Sylvie x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a good idea to do the partial crimping. It adds a great deal of interest and is perfect for a manly card! (And now I'm all caught up... hope you're haveing a great week!)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)