Is it a bird, is it a plane? No - it's a vase! This is a very popular way of using the ornament punch, and means that it works hard all the year round. If you use the punch off the edge of a piece of card stock, you get a nice flat base to your vase and if you use textured card stock as I have here, it adds extra interest.
There are many stalks of flowers and branches that would work beautifully in the vase (Pocket Silhouettes, Hopeful Thoughts, Autumn Days, Nature Walk - okay, I want to try them all now!) but today I've used the beautiful irises from Just Believe - a perfect spring image.
Here's the gorgeous flowing 'thanks' from Thank You Kindly again. I just love this sentiment stamp - there's so much movement in it.
Here's how to make this card:
- Cut a 9cm x 18cm piece of Whisper White card stock. Score and fold it in half to make a card base.
- Colour the iris image from Just Believe with Perfect Plum and Old Olive markers and stamp onto the card front. Add definition with a Basic Black marker if you like.
- Cut a vase shape out of textured card stock using the Ornament punch. TIP: Hold the punch upside down so that you can see what you're punching, and punch off the edge of the card stock to get a nice flat base to your vase. Daubing the edge of the vase with Old Olive ink will add definition.
- Mask off the top of the card front with a post-it note and sponge a surface for your vase to sit on. TIP: Making folds in the sponge will give an interesting texture.
- Now glue your vase over the flowers so that it looks as if the stems are inside the neck.
- Stamp a sentiment using a stamp-a-majig for accurate placement.
Stamps: Just Believe, Thank You Kindly
Ink: Perfect Plum, Old Olive, Basic Black
Card stock: Whisper White, Old Olive textured
Other: Ornament punch, markers
One of my biggest crafting problems is not having enough time to make everything I think of but I think I might be able to find a few minutes to try out some different plants in the vase... watch this space!
EDITED TO ADD: You knew I wouldn't be able to resist! Here's a very different version using the small Greenhouse Garden flower. Note the differently shaped vase! It's easy to create different shapes by adjusting how far off the edge of the card stock you punch.
This one took a little longer but was still very quick! You have got to try this vase idea - it is so much fun! The Ornament punch costs £15.50 and just think how useful it would be! Don't forget that you can order your Stampin' Up supplies from me - I'm always very happy to help and offer a friendly and efficient service. Just click here to email me or give me a call on 01280 820593.
Thank you for dropping in today and thank you for your comments and emails. I always reply to my readers - although sometimes I'm unable to because there isn't a link back to a blog or email address. (If this is you, please know that I tried!)
See you tomorrow,