Pages

Monday 9 May 2011

Masculine Monday - Using Nature's Nest

Good morning! Welcome to Masculine Monday - my weekly dose of inspiration for male cards!

I made today's card after we realised that when my youngest son had written his birthday thank you cards, he'd left one out. His birthday was over a month ago, but that's no excuse!


I used a speciality card stock for this card. It's called Confetti White and is a heavy card stock with little flecks in it. I love the feel of it and it works very well for sponged designs - the flecks add quite a lot of movement to the sky area on this card. It costs £8.25 for 40 sheets and also comes in Confetti Cream.


Just look at this cute tortoise from Nature's Nest! He is the perfect choice when making a late card. I stamped him in  Early Espresso ink and added Soft Suede touches with a blender pen. Next time, I'll clear-emboss him before using the blender pen as this card stock is quite absorbent and the Early Espresso has run. It's fine but not the look I was going for!


These Basic Phrases sentiments are so useful and are just what they say on the tin - basic, clean, simple, no frills. Ever since I became familiar with my stamp-a-majig they have been a regular feature on my cards because you can pretty well use them to say anything!

Here's how to make this card:
  • Take an A5 piece of Confetti White card stock. Score and fold it in half to make a card base.
  • Use a scrap piece of paper to mask off the top of the card front and sponge Soft Suede ink on the bottom strip. Sponge in a sky using Marina Mist ink.
  • Stamp the tortoise using Early Espresso ink. Add colour with a blender pen and Soft Suede ink.
  • Use a stamp-a-majig to position a sentiment and stamp in Cherry Cobbler ink.
  • Add grasses with Old Olive ink, stamping several times without re-inking to get some depth. Aim to create a frame around the the tortoise and the sentiment.

Supplies
Stamps: Nature's Nest, Autumn Days, Basic Phrases
Ink: Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler
Card stock: Confetti White

After a false start, during which I gently pointed out that a thank you note is usually a little bit more than  'Dear so-and-so, Thank you for the present, From me', you'll be pleased to know we managed to get the card into a postbox!

Hope you had a great weekend. We spent a lovely Saturday visiting car showrooms with an excited pair of boys! One of the things I love about my children is that their enthusiasm turns all my chores into fun!

See you tomorrow for some Springtime Vintage loveliness!

17 comments:

  1. I think this is so appropriate - tortoise and sorry!!

    Thanks for your comment on my CR84FN card - actually there's no Mumbai influence on this card as it was made before we went away!! I do have a feeling Mumbai maybe a future influence thoush!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet Vicky. I've never really been a fan of natures nest but this little tortoise is adorable!
    Hugs, Victoria ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little tortoise. He looks a little pink on my monitor but I thought it was intentional and liked the effect. Good idea to link him to a late card! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just the subtle scene that you have created, the grass, tortoise and background. Just a lovely one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely masculine card, you do make the most lovely little scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a belated thank you card!
    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet card, I love the extra details you put in your cards with the grass and the sky. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect choice for the occasion !
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super Vicky, gorgeous little tortoise! He looks pink on my monitor too but he's perfect :) Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the idea of a tortoise on a belated card/note. Fab card Vicky :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow thanks you for opening my eyes to this creative place. I love the way you write and can see that you enjoy helping people to get the most out of what they are trying to do.
    Thank you and I'll be back soon. Jeremyx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky
    Super card ...sooo cute ...love it .....
    hugs sylvie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not to take away from the gorgeousness of this clean and simple card but it did make me laugh! So I guess that makes it the perfect card because the person who was forgotten won't feel so bad. I seriously want to buy the stamps and colours you used so I can make this card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww I think no one can be angry if you he/she gets such a card!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)