Pages

Saturday 21 May 2011

Nature Walk butterfly birthday

Good morning! I've been up with the lark this morning and why? Yes, it's because I am well and truly addicted to the Less is More challenge that comes out on Saturday mornings! Crafters are challenged to make clean and simple cards according to a different theme each week and it's so much fun - do come and join in!

This week's challenge is to make a card using a butterfly motif. All last night I'd been thinking about a card after seeing the FTL 141 sketch on another favourite challenge site, Clean and Simple Stamping, and then today, it all suddenly became clear!

Here's what I came up with:


I loved making this card - and it took very little time to make! It might look as if I've spent hours stamping those plants onto a carefully distressed old book page but it's actually part of one of the beautiful Botanical Gazette papers. I bought them to use for scrapbooking, as lots of my photos are taken in the countryside, but I've completely fallen in love with them and can see they'll be featuring on many of my cards too!


I layered some torn Not Quite Navy card stock over the paper and knotted linen thread around it - I don't think I could live without this stuff! The sentiment is from Plane and Simple and has definitely become my most used 'happy birthday' sentiment!


Here's my butterfly! It's yet another gorgeous image from my favourite set in the mini catalogue - Nature Walk (big fanfare here!) It's hovering here ready to get some nectar from that primula, but it's probably slightly confused about the black and white nature of the plant!

Here's how to make this card:

  • Take an A5 piece of Confetti Cream card stock. Score and fold it in half to make a card base.
  • Choose a part of the Botanical Gazette designer paper with some type and some plant images.  Cut a piece about 12cm x 8.5cm.
  • Cut a piece of Not Quite Navy card stock and tear it on the diagonal. Layer this over the paper.
  • Stamp a sentiment in Basic Black ink using a stamp-a-majig to make sure it's straight.
  • Place a length of linen thread above the sentiment and wrap around the card several times, finishing with a simple knot.
  • Mount the panel onto a 12.75cm x 8.75cm piece of Basic Black card stock and attach to the card front.
  • Stamp the butterfly from Nature Walk in Basic Black ink on a scrap of Confetti Cream card stock. Let it dry (blast with a heat gun if you're in a hurry - which I always am!) before colouring it with a blender pen and Rich Razzleberry and More Mustard inks. Cut the butterfly out with sharp paper snips and fix to the card front with a dimensional or two.

Supplies:
Stamps: Nature Walk, Plane and Simple (sentiment)
Ink: Basic Black, Rich Razzleberry, More Mustard
Card stock: Confetti Cream, Basic Black, Not Quite Navy
Other: Botanical Gazette designer paper, linen thread

Yesterday my oldest son went for a trial at a local cricket club. The club he belonged to last year isn't running a team in his age group this year but he's keen to carry on with the sport. At the end of the session, I met up with the coach to hear the verdict and, let me tell you, Simon Cowell couldn't have strung me along better! " I'm really sorry..." he began and I immediately had a vision of myself trying to comfort a brave but distraught son. "I don't think..." he continued (as I kept my eyes fastened painfully onto his face) "...we can offer your son..." (he is going to be so disappointed, I'm thinking) "... many games this season, but we'll do our best and he's very welcome to join us for coaching every week!" I'd nearly collapsed with the tension by the this point and had to have a stiff glass of wine to revive! Needless to say, my son had simply assumed he'd get in and took the whole thing in his stride!

Thank you so much to everyone that left comments for me last week - I am bowled over by them and always return your visit if you have a contactable blog or email address.

Have a fun weekend!

52 comments:

  1. Fantastic card, as ever Vicky
    We can forgive the non white space, as its most certainly clean and simple. Although you do make everything look so simple anyway!!
    Thanks so much for always entering our challenge
    Diva LIM mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Vicky, it has a real vintage feel to it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Vicky I visit your blog most days and love what you do with Stampin Ups wonderful stamp sets xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the splash of colour from the butterfly and the blue below, the gorgeous paper is the perfect backdrop - I love love love it!
    Stacex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Vicki this is beautiful, just love how you've used the sketch too. I thought you had stamped all that background .... they are lovely papers :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! And excellent instructions. Might have to give this a go...

    Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Vicky! Love the botanical papers you've used!
    Hugs, Victoria ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning card Vicki. That butterfly is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card Vicky and I love how you coloured the butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful = love the patterned paper!
    Jeannie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Vicky, this is a stunning card, I love it. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic card as always Vicky.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning and I agree it does have a vintage feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely Vicky, I like your adaption of the sketch too. I'm still pondering my butterfly card, much like a butterfly I'm flitting from one idea to the next. Lol! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the vintage style this DSP brings to the card and I'm loving linen thread at the mo too, fab card!
    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW - this is great Vicky.

    Hugs, Sandra My card is HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vicky
    Gorgeous card ....Lovely ...
    hugs s
    ylvie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous.. love your stampwork.. Beautifully done :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card. Love how you tore the paper for the bottom border instead of punching with something.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely Stunning. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this is gorgeous Vicky! I see we both had the same idea for tying the thread....just as well we're cousins or you'd think I'd copied you lol Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful card again Vicky and I bet you were most relieved to hear the good news about the cricket too !!!Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vicky this card is stunning just love it Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely colourful butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely Vicky, very different from your usual style and the splash of colour really makes it stand out
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very pretty...the butterfly looks real!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vicky, your cards are always fabulous...and this one is no exception!! Love how rich the colors are...and that paper is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous card, Vicky. I love your very artsy creations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how you created the scene with your elements and the yellows and oranges on the butterfly really pop against the background.
    hugs
    wynneth
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a tease that man is but your Son is in and a happy chappy.

    Lovely card can see why you are so keen on the background paper it is fabulous. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great card, lovely use of patterned paper - perfect! Love your beautifully coloured butterfly too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very CAS and a gorgeous layout.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  33. A fab card Vicky. Yes, it does look as though it took ages to make.

    Congratulations to your son.

    Sue.x

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is awesome my friend! I love how you placed the DSP with the torn blue layers and your butterfly is painted so prettily! Another inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Vicky, This is wonderful, I love your colour choice and that background paper's just perfect, Great card, I love it :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great card Vicky and the butterfly looks awesome. I love the botanical gazette papers too - I've bought two packs .... one to use and one to stroke :-) Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  37. An absolutely beautiful card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love those papers and your card is great. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  39. How very pretty!! Love how you used the sketch...very creative and lovely:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Vicky, this is beautiful. I love the papers you've used, and your butterfly looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful work Vicky always a pleasure to view your gorgeous pieces of art.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful card I love the layout.. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's stunning! Gorgeous stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  44. very cool interpretation of the map card. I like it immensely colors

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh, Vicky. I read this post and then took a break to empty my dishwasher (must get something done today!), but I'm still smiling about your description of the conversation with your son's cricket coach. I'm sure he'll have a great experience... and will improve his game by leaps and bounds. But the way you told your thoughts as the coach is talking to you... haha... so mom-like. Loved it! And love your interpretation of the Clean and Simple Stamping sketch, too. Really a great card!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)