Pages

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Clean and simple cards for a baby boy

I've had some exciting news! My cousin and his wife are now the proud parents of a gorgeous baby boy! And what a cutie! I'm not able to be on cuddling duty at the moment as they live in Scotland, but I'm sure I'll get a turn when we have our family get-together in the summer! While I'm waiting I thought I'd get straight onto designing a card to welcome the new arrival.

It is so much fun making baby cards! I've come up with three monochome designs - yes I am a true LiMette and the Less is More challenge is never far from my mind! The first card might not have enough white space for their royal LiMnesses...


...or for me now I come to think of it! But I like the stamped gingham mounted onto the embossed card base, which reminds me of one of those lovely soft baby blankets.


The gingham is easy to make with the Solid Stripes background stamp and a stamp-a-majig. I used Bashful Blue and Marina Mist markers on alternate stripes, then turned it round and stamped it again. The embossing folder is exclusive to Stampin' Up and is called Square Lattice.

The next card is my favourite of the batch. I love the dotty label from Baby Blossoms - and how cute is that little babygrow from the hostess set A Slice of Life?! I coloured it with markers and popped it up on the label using dimensionals. The sentiment is from Afterthoughts, another hostess set. Don't forget these sets are free with a £150 order and you get other freebies too! It's certainly worth clubbing together with friends or joining my Stampers 6 club.


The sentiment is a retired sale-a-bration stamp which curves neatly into the frame, and the card base has been half-embossed with the Polka Dots embossing folder.


The Night of Navy grosgrain ribbon grounds the label nicely and ties in with the colour of the sentiment and the accents on the babygrow.

For my final design I masked off a strip and sponged it with bashful Blue ink then stamped it with tiny Marina Mist stars - I used the smallest star from Seeing Stars. I wanted it to look sewn to the card stock so I stamped it with the zigzag stitch stamp I made from the In Stitches wheel (see how I did it here.)


The card topper is made with the giraffe from Fox and Friends. I've drawn a welcoming smile on his little face and given him a dark eye with markers and, because the birth of a baby is quite an occasion, I've given him a posh scarf to wear made from a scrap of Baja Breeze seam binding!


Now, I would normally give details on how to make my cards but I'm aware that you've all got lives to get on with and there are only so many hours in the day! But if you'd like more details, I'm always happy to help and of course I can supply you with everything you need to make the cards. Just send me an email or give me a ring on 01280 820593.

When I was making these cards, my thoughts turned to my own lovely babies. They are quite considerably bigger than they used to be but they're not above giving me a hug sometimes and are very good company indeed!

Thanks for dropping in on my baby card-fest today - I very much appreciate your visits and comments. Yesterday I was overwhelmed by all the birthday wishes you sent me - thank you so much my lovely blogging pals! Tomorrow I'll be back here with Three Minute Thursday, my weekly series of speedy card ideas, and you are more than welcome to join me!

29 comments:

  1. Wow what a cute set of baby cards Vicky. I love the gingham background you've created with the solid stripes stamp. Which one to choose now, that is the question!
    Hugs, Victoria ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  2. All gorgeous Vicki! I have added solid stripes to my latest order which should be arriving soon! If DH complains I am blaming you!! (only kidding Lol!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three great cards Vicky, isn't this challenge such fun !!! But my favourite is the first one. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new family member. Your cards are all beautiful. Can`t choose a favourite as they are all fabulous.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Absolutely adore how you have done the baby cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated birthday greeting for yesterday Vicky, I hope you had a lovely day.
    These are all lovely and the gingham paper is stunning... a very clever bit of stamping!However, the thought 'white space', did pop into my head when I saw it... as a personage of high regard, I thought I would just mention that!! He he.
    All the cards are superb and I think my favourite is the little giraffe. Looking at your work always makes Stampin' Up products seem so much more addictive!
    Thanks so much once again Vicky.
    Chrissie
    Lady LIM
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vicky
    Three gorgeous Baby cards love the embossing folder on the First one...St Lukes Challenge ...think you won it the month before...as i seen your card come up .....
    hugs
    sylvie
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the "baby card fest". All smashing cards, but I'm with you on the middle one being my fave!

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three very cute little baby cards - My favourite has to be the gingham at the top. I love how you did that - Jacqueline xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All cards are so adorable. You've given me some ideas for some small 3 x 3 cards I'm making my daughter - non-baby ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them all ... and congrats on the new member of the family. I do hope you get a cuddle sometime in the near future. Love the gingham idea ... must tuck that away in my little brain ... is that a SU! stamp? (Solid Stripes)

    I have missed popping by to visit ... but family issues have been a big distraction over the last few weeks. I am looking forward to scrolling back through your recent posts and checking out your fab inspiration ... but won’t have time to comment on each! Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky, Congratulations, babies are such a lovely addition! I love your cards they're fab, each different and all gorgeous, Gay xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of your baby cards are gorgeous, Vicky. I love the gingham and embossing on the first one, they go so well together. Congrat's for your new baby in the family, and a belated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" for yesterday xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicky
    Such a fabulous set of cards! I love the giraffe one as it is full of white space lol
    Ingenious stamping as always
    Thanks so much
    Diva LIM mandi
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not one but three lovely baby cards! I couldn't chose a favorite I'm afraid. You are a constant source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Vicky, These are so cute. Your embossing on the first one reminds me of a new baby blanket too. The memories that came flooding back for a moment! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute ! Thank you for helping with my comments problem, really appreciate it
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are fab Vicky, I have to agree the spotted label is so cute for a baby card :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're all gorgeous Vicky but I LOVE the one with the giraffe!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely set of baby cards.
    hugs
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Belated birthday wishes Vicky and a stunning set of baby cards love them all Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are adorable! You always amaze me with your monochromatic clean and simple style. I was trying to choose a favourite and couldn't decide between the first and last. Love them all, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning cards, Vicky! I love all three. Congratulations on hte new bundle of joy too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your baby cards are so sweet. I love the gingham that makes them fresh looking and the embellishments are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous and gorgeous Baby cards.

    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Vicky Thank you for sharin your lovely creations again today I love your card with the giraffe from fox and friends (a favourite favourite of mine!!)
    Have a lovely weekend Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vicky, I LOVE all three cards! How precious they are! The recipients will be thoroughly delighted!!
    Susan@Keeping in Touch

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adorable, adorable baby cards, Vicky! I think my favorites run right along with yours. Love the way you embossed the bottom portion of the first two... great way to add additional impact and interest!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a gorgeous blanket! it looks so elegant and delicate. Also visit my web page : https://theminkyblanket.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)