Pages

Monday 24 June 2013

Pleasant Poppies on the block

The poppies in today's card started life on another one which I didn't like much. When I saw the sketch at CASE this Sketch I thought they'd be perfect for it, so I dismantled that rubbish card and started again! Come and see:


I'm having a thing about using colour as 'white' space at the moment so I used a panel of gorgeous Gumball Green card stock. By inking up one of my acrylic blocks and stamping with it, I made a textured background for the flowers.


The poppies, which had been stamped, coloured with markers and fussy cut, were arranged on their new background and finished with a bakers twine bow.


I love a white embossed sentiment!  I hunted through a fair few sentiments before I found this one from Sassy Salutations that fitted the space perfectly and was bold enough to balance out the poppies.

This is the fabulous sketch I was working from today.

Here's what you'll need to make this card
Stamps: Pleasant Poppies, Sassy Salutations
Ink: Gumball Green
Card stock: Gumball Green, Whisper White
Other: Acrylic block E, markers, Lucky Limeade bakers twine (retiring), versamark, white embossing powder, heat tool, stamp-a-majig
I CAN ORDER STAMPIN' UP ITEMS FOR YOU AND HAVE THEM DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR ADDRESS IN THE UK. I'M COMMITTED TO PROVIDING EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND AM ALWAYS HAPPY TO OFFER HELP AND ADVICE. TO FIND OUT MORE OR TO PLACE YOUR ORDER, JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL OR GIVE ME A CALL ON 01280 820593.
• To make way for new items some of our favourites are retiring. Click the links to see STAMPS and ACCESSORIES available, only while stocks last, until 30th June.

I hope your weekend was a lot more successful than mine. I'm feeling very sorry for myself after an accident in which I managed somehow to sew through my index finger with the sewing machine. The needle broke off, lodged through my finger and the nail bed on the other side... OUCH! Actually there was such an adrenalin surge that I didn't feel the pain and only screamed when my husband advanced on me with a pair of pliers! After threatening divorce if he so much as went near me, I managed to pull the needle out myself and bathe my finger in boiled water with a few drops of tea tree oil added and just need to watch out for potential infection now. There's no denying that crafting - and typing for that matter - is a lot trickier when you're not using your index finger!

See you tomorrow,

17 comments:

  1. Love that Gumball green with the pops of yellow! Clever use of your acrylic block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...glorious green and yellow! Love this beauty!!!
    I'm so sorry about that finger of yours! I hope it heals quickly for you! No fun trying to be crafty with pain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big big OUCH!!! Definately a cringe-worthy story, that one! Hope your finger gets better without any nasties. Lovely card, by the way. The green and yellow together really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these fresh colours Vicky, and a great layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty card Vicky-the Poppies look great against the green background-and the sentiment is just perfect :)
    Ooouchy ! Your poor finger-that sounds really painful-hope it feels better very soon and that it doesn't stop you from creating !
    Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card and so pleased you managed not to get blood spilled on it!

    You poor thing . . . I KNEW sewing wasn't good for me (or you!).

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! That sounds like it hurt. Stick to stamping, it's a lot less dangerous. Love the fresh colours in your card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Vicky,hope you are okay. I hear that the lack of use of the index finger is most noticed when trying to wash dishes, vacuum, dust, change beds,clean loos and make delicious meals. I'm sure your family will understand the need for complete rest from these tasks for at least five days and all muster in!!

    P.S. - love the card. Restoration is good for the soul. I don't do it myself too much- not because my cards are always wonderful you understand but because they've usually ended up looking worse than a dog's dinner in the nearest bin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the card. Sorry about your finger must have been really painful. I remember my mother telling me that you were never a proper seamstress until you'd sewn your finger! Obviously I'm still not very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Vicky, love the poppies. You deserve a medal for making a card and posting it with such a poorly finger!
    Val x
    I'm down in Somerset at Karen's and I've been looking through the new catalogue:) loving Mosaic madness and wildflower meadow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Ann Rosie is right, it is crucial for your health that you do no.housework.whatsover. What were you sewing anyway (did you get some of the *bargain* fabric from the outgoing catalogue?)
    Great card, by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these colours together, they remind me of buttercups in a meadow. Beautiful card.

    OUCH! is certainly the word to use after sewing your finger, hope you begin to get it useful again soon.

    PS thanks for your comments, we have tried for years to get him to do things, just hoping this will encourage him to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Vicky, I love those poppies.

    That sounds like a nasty accident to your poor finger. Hope it's better soon.

    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch!! I am actually wincing with'sympathy' pain for you!
    Your card is fab...love the fussy cut poppies, and I am so trying the inked clear block! :)
    Lizy xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blimey, Vicky - sewing is a dangerous sport in your house! Hope your finger heals quickly. On the up side, that's a great card. Super colours! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just gorgeous!! I have a rough time using color as white space also but you did it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty color combo--love how you created the background with an acrylic block. Must remember that! Hope your finger is better--yikes, I can't imagine what that was like!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)