Pages

Saturday 11 January 2020

A farmhouse Christmas

Hello crafting friends!

I'm thrilled to bits to be Guest Designing at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown today! YAY! *pops champagne corks, blows party hooter*

This weekly challenge is here to inspire you to create four Christmas cards a month for the whole year. Just think... no last minute panic! It really flexes your creative muscles too - which leads me on to today's challenge:


Make a festive card using the colours White, Yellow and Brown. Well, I've got to be honest, this colour combination didn't exactly yell Christmas at me but I had a little think and this is what I came up with:


It's a Christmas card with a farmhouse feel! The bottom of my panel was stamped with Kaiserkraft's Gingham using Stampin' Up's Early Espresso ink, a lovely dark brown. I shaded where the candle would be with a pale yellow pencil to give a nice glowing effect.


The candle image is an old one from Alota Stamps, which is sadly no longer trading now. I stamped it with Crumb Cake ink, then coloured it with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers in shades of yellow and brown, before fussy cutting it and popping it up on dimensionals. The fir branches were given the Wink of Stella treatment to add a bit of festive sparkle.


When I came to the candle, I coloured the whole lot in a pale yellow, then used a clear blender pen to 'lift' the colour from the wax.  I love the effect this creates - look! here's another version in blue :)


To finish the card, I added a sentiment from Endless Wishes (retired) by Stampin' Up, then mounted the panel onto deep yellow card stock before attaching it to the card base. And for the final touch, a sprinkling of gems, coloured with a dark yellow alcohol pen before attaching to the card.

CHALLENGES
I shall also link this card up with Happy Little Stampers Christmas challenge where it's Anything Goes (with the optional extra theme Trim the Tree.)


AND IN OTHER NEWS
Driving home at around dusk yesterday evening, I was amazed by the full moon - one of those huge orange ones. And when I got out of the car, I saw that on the opposite side of the sky, there was a bright star that looked actually star-shaped.

Did you see it?  Now, if I was the kind of person that believed in these kind of things, I'd predict that something pretty special was going to happen!

Hugs,

18 comments:

  1. Happy new year wishes to you Vicky - I’m playing catch up so having a good read with my morning cuppa at last! Congrats on your DT spot and your rather lovely Christmas card too - these colours are quite challenging for a Christmas card but I think this works wonderfully. Your colouring creates a great sense of dimension on your candle and gives the whole card a warm glow. Hw super organised to be making Christmas cards in January! Best wishes for a lovely weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - they're MAKING me do it Joanne! I'll be very glad come December though. Have a lovely weekend too :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Firstly . . .I love your card using the challenge colours. I immediately thought of Christmas pudding and custard!

    Secondly . . . I'm really cross that I missed that Penumbral Eclipse yesterday . . . I knew about it and FORGOT about it. The moon has been brilliant all week. Luckily there are 3 more Penumbral Eclipses this year . .. 5th June, 5th July and 30th November . . . Just off to add them in my diary!

    Hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should've consulted you first Sarn - Christmas pud and custard would've been gorgeous!

      I had no idea there were three more Penumbral Eclipses - have put them in my diary too. You can still sit back and wait for something special to happen though :)

      Hug xxx

      Delete
  3. You did great with this challenge! I struggled with the colors. LOL guess that is why they call it a "challenge"! thank you so much for playing along

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a challenge for me -0 but that makes it all the more fun! Thanks for having me as a Guest this week Netta!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE what you have done with the colours, I agree they wouldn't have been my first choice for Christmas, but this is just "right" and so beautiful Vicky. I got a looky at the moon just as it was hiding behind heavy clouds, that was my only view sadly, I would love to have taken piccies, I usually do LOL.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith!
      It was so beautiful - I love all the amazing things that go on in our sky! x

      Delete
  5. A wonderful make Vicky; love how you used the colours. I am so glad that you joined us as a Guest Designer this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cette carte est magnifique Vicky, cette touche country me plait Ă©normĂ©ment et j'aime ces carreaux noir et blanc illuminĂ© par cette chandelle, merci d’Ăªtre notre guest designer cette semaine, biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fabiola! So happy to be guesting with you :)

      Delete
  7. Another stunning card, Vicky. And the moon has been gorgeous when not obscured by cloud! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, Vicky - this challenge was quite a challenge!! Your candle is absolutely beautiful and I can well imagine how the fir branches glitter in its light! Thank you so very much for being our Guest Designer this week! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DT just rocked it Rosi! Thanks for having me :)
      x

      Delete
  9. What an awesome card, Vicky and I love the fabulous country feel you created here. I love the colouring and you used those particular colours so well!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Vicky, your colouring is as crisp and precise as ever!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers Christmas Challenge!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)