Pages

Friday 24 January 2020

Inspired by a frock!

Hello crafting friends!

Yes, I HAVE been crafting in the last couple of days but I have had the creativity of a gastropod so everything has been filed in the bin. I COULD have started a new comedy crafting blog but... no. Anyway, inspiration has returned today so come and see:


This is a card inspired by a pretty summer dress which was lurking about in the darkest depths of my wardrobe like something from another life.


I'm obsessed with the subtle texture of this card panel which has been trimmed at an angle to add interest to the background. I've stamped directly onto it with the branch, flowers and small leaf from Concorde and 9th's Beautiful Branches,  adding extra colour with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers and a bit of shading with a vanilla watercolour crayon.


The bird is from a long-ago retired Stampin' Up set called Touch of Nature. I stamped him onto cream card stock and gave him some colourful (and unlikely!) plumage before fussy cutting him.


The sentiment, from Concorde and 9th's Enjoy it All, was stamped in dark brown ink onto cream card stock and trimmed into a banner. I popped the bird up on dimensionals and finished the card with some pearls.


And this is the fabric that inspired this card - all branches and flowers and fantastical birds!

CHALLENGES
Thank you so much to Time Out Challenges for kickstarting a bit of creativity in the Craft Square Metre. The challenge this fortnight is to base a card on an item in your wardrobe - what a great challenge! I chose a frock and went for the optional twist and added texture to my card.
Thank goodness too for Freshly Made Sketches where this week's gorgeous sketch also galvanised me into action!



AND IN OTHER NEWS
This is me, thinking about my next card:

It's not looking good is it?!!

Wishing you loads of creativity!

21 comments:

  1. What wonderful and beautiful inspiration to produce such a gorgeous card. I LOVE it, also the different textures of the base cards.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith. Thank goodness for challenges! x

      Delete
  2. Hello, Vicky!
    I am LOVING your card and how you used the fabric to inspire you. This challenge from Time Out was so clever. I'm really loving the inspiration that we find in our own closets. Yours is stunning.

    I run a fun challenge blog called Word Art Wednesday. The challenges are always Anything Goes/Family Friendly, and I would be delighted to have you stop by and share your wonderful art with us. We have AWESOME sponsors (which means awesome prizes), and it would be a real treat to have you share your creations with us. I hope you will stop by and join us soon.
    Blessings to you,
    Karen Letchworth

    http://www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com – My Personal Blog
    http://www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com – My Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun challenge wasn't it?!

      Bless you for the reminder Karen, I keep meaning to join in!

      Delete
  3. What a pretty card! Love the sweet bird and flowers! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! Love the slow snail. Yes, we all have those dry spells, don't we? It is no fun, but it looks like your MOJO returned for this card! How fun to see you replicate the material, texture and all. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was no fun at all Lee Ann. Thanks for your fab sketch!

      Delete
  5. You've made a very pretty card from your wardrobe inspiration.

    Hopefully your mojo will come slinking back after playing tricks with your creativity.

    Happy Saturday!

    Many, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarn! I really hope that minx of a mojo will return as it keeps me sane!
      Much!
      xxx

      Delete
  6. I love how you've placed your embossed piece at an angle, Vicky! Adds even more interest to that beautiful bird and flowering branch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually just a textured card stock Bonnie! I don't usually do angled layers but I enjoyed playing along with this sketch :)

      Delete
  7. Love the texture on your card Vicky and how your dress inspired your creation - funny sometimes where inspiration lurks isn’t it? Hope that snail is being slowly sent packing - looking forward to you having a crafty week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Joanne - it was such a fun challenge to take inspiration from your wardrobe! I might have to have a further rummage in there! The snail has gone now but I now have the creativity of a small weasel. *sigh*

      Delete
  8. Sooo pretty, Vicky! Like you, I love the delicious texture of your angled panel ... and those soft colours on the bird are just delicious! Great snail ... it had me smiling firstly because that's how Monsieur Mojo and I are at the moment ... and secondly because the snail is the emblem of our departement! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love that you call him Monsieur Mojo! Also I hope the emblem of your department is a lot prettier than this snail!

      Delete
  9. Super take on the sketch! Your images have such a lovely flow - thanks for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I also like the soft texture and I love the blue layered on blue. It is also fun to see the fabric that inspired the card... really lovely work! Thanks for playing at Time Out Challenges!
    - Shauna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna! I've been having fun seeing all the garments that inspired people's cards too - such a great challenge!

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)