Pages

Friday 4 September 2020

The spooky birds

Hello, crafting friends!

Once, when I was 9 or 10 years old, we had a halloween-themed disco after school. It was the most exciting thing ever! We spent the afternoon decorating the school hall with friezes of witches, ghosts, spiders and other spooky-looking things. Then we went twittering off to the loos to change into our disco outfits and one of the girls had actual eyeshadow!! Giddy huh? But apart from that, I've never celebrated halloween, so I've no idea why today's card turned into a halloween one!


I was looking at these bird stamps, which I found in a tiny craft shop last summer on a trip to London with my daughter. They're from a company called Knorr Prandell which I've never heard of (anyone else?!) I haven't used them yet but thought they'd be perfect for a bird-on-a-wire card.


I started with a card panel, masking off a circle cut with a 1 1/2" circle punch, sponging ink up from one corner of a panel and fading it out. When the mask was removed to reveal a full moon, I stamped the birds over it and used a black fineliner pen to join the branches and add a few more.


It looked so spooky that I realised a halloween sentiment was really the only option ('Thinking of you' or 'Get well soon' would just have been rude!) I found the word halloween in Stampin' Up's Holiday Home stamp set and stamped it repeatedly along a piece of orange cardstock using my stamping platform. Once it was trimmed into a thin strip, I glued it to the bottom of the panel and attached that to a card base with dimensionals.

EDITED TO ADD AN AWARD
Delighted this card was chosen as Diamond Winner at Color My Heart Color Dare!


CHALLENGES
It was AAA Cards' fabulous sketch, and their optional twist of At The Movies, that started me making this card; no prizes for guessing that my movie was The Birds! I chose the colours from the palette 409 at Color My Heart Color Dare - Lagoon, Peacock and Nectarine. I'm also joining in at Allsorts where they want to see at least one circle on our cards. I've never used these bird stamps before so I shall share at NBUS Challenge, the place to show off your Never Before Used Schtuff!


AND IN OTHER NEWS
At Halloween, witches are supposed to commune with their familiars aren't they?


I wonder if this counts...?!!!

Sending hugs,

19 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous card Vicky, I agree the Halloween sentiment is perfect! I have never heard of the stamp company but sure is a great stamp! I make some Halloween cards every year but never send them, this year they are going in the mail...hah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colouring and shading on this card Vicky, it's beautiful, love the stamps, I looked up the company and seems they sell lots of crafty things! I'd never heard of them either. I agree it suits a Halloween card.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is absolutely stunning! Thanks for joining us at Color My Heart Color Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous background color and design Vicky.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the contrast between the sky and the orange Halloween stamped strip, the tiny birds are the perfect finishing touch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant creation, love it.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a fan of that movie (don’t do scary disturbing movies 😝), but this is not scary at all. Love the colour. Your blending is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the silhouette of birds against your personalized background... very pretty card. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific color choices and the repeated "Halloween" reminds me of the telephone where each bird down the line is telling the other that it's Halloween! ~ Fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is absolutely FABULOUS!!!!! I am going to have to CASE this. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful design Vicky, love the bird stamp, what a great find! Your inking and the moon is a fabulous take on the sketch too, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a rather lovely stamp Vicky, I have a few bird branch ones but all rather rigid, whereas the shaped branches give this flexibility and a more natural look.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome card. I love that's it's atmospheric without being gruesome, great for Halloween. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the birds across the card and the background is fabulous! Thanks for sharing with us at Colour Dare :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, great photo of your two girls, Vicky! I'm not into Halloween either, but I love your nontraditional (ghouls and witches and all that) design using this fab bird silhouette stamp! Perfect blending and sediment strip!! Thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Keep safe! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! Thank you for playing at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your card!! The way you sponged the background is perfect! Thank you for joining us at Color Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous card, Vicky! Thank you for joining us at Color My Heart Color Dare #409.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)