Pages

Wednesday 3 April 2024

An accident and a snippety save

Hello, crafting friends!
 
Things have gone quite quiet here after the Easter celebrations and more rain has driven me back indoors. But the great thing is that my NBUS box contains some pretty florals I have been saving for a rainy day! One of my favourite ways to relax at the moment is to sit and watercolour flowers, so I pulled out some inks and Poppy Hawthorn from Waffle Flower and settled in.
 

The flower cluster was stamped with Stampin' Up's Sea Foam ink and the leaves and flowers watercoloured with Garden Green and Flirty Flamingo. When it was dry I fussy cut it, intending to lay it across a card base. But then I thought it would be better on a classic stitched rectangle panel and decided it would be a nice touch to trim the side of the flower cluster with the stitched rectangle die so it would look as if was part of the panel. I had to use the partial die cutting technique for this and I'm not sure whether it was because I was doing it in the semi dark or whether I'm just a Fool of the West, but it all went horribly wrong and I cut all sorts of bits off the flower cluster that I hadn't intended to!!

After all that watercolouring, there was no way it was all going in the bin so I sat down and, after a bit of arranging, head-scratching and re-arranging, I ended up with this...
 

... which was much nicer than what I was intending to do!
 

The flowers are layered up in the corner of the panel with a few stray leaves snipped off and tucked in. I finished off with a pretty 'thank you' sentiment that is part of the set.
 

Thought you might like to see the snippets I ended up with after my booboo!

CHALLENGES
Thought Miss Di and Head Prefect Sarn at the The Snippets Playground would approve of my refusal to bin the bits, so I'm romping over there with this card (and to find any stray eggs!); The colour palette came from Rachel's beautiful choice at CAS Colours and Sketches; Ann has a fun Tic Tac Toe board at The Paper Players and I chose the bottom row Flowers/Thank You/Pastels; and of course I shall nip over to Darnell's where I've not only got some NBUS to link up but have also remembered to join in with her IDEAS challenge - an encouragement for those who want to pep up their crafting life! This week is ink/colour mediums.


AND IN OTHER NEWS
The chocolate eggs may have all been eaten but my eldest son, who is staying with us, is still very much in egg mode. He popped into the kitchen to make himself a sandwich for a snack to keep him going until lunch time and couldn't understand why I dissolved into giggles when I came in.
 

Here is his mega egg sandwich - and he was just frying up some bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes to garnish it with. He did full justice to lunch too! In his defence, he is very tall and slim and needs a lot of energy. And for those that are wondering what the golden girls made of it, they sat watching him the whole time. But he is wise to their 'starving orphan' act and ignored their wide eyes sending 'I've never been fed, not even EVER' messages!

Sending hugs,

19 comments:

  1. Well that certainly is a very pretty card indeed. Love the colours. Really applaud your never-say-die attitude to your little accident!

    Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground. There may be a few stray eggs left - you never know your luck! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your flower card. Sometimes accidents turn out to be an even better version of what is intended. Beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a snack? I'm so jealous! I do need lots of energy, but I'm short and not slim, lololol. I love that you shared the booboo with us as your card has ended up a quite lovely one, thanks to your McGyvering! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. A happy accident, Vicky! I think your card is gorgeous with all the layers and interest, which is def a bonus. Awesome job on the colouring too! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CC&S this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great save then Vicky, your card is beautiful. Love your son’s egg face, must cost you an arm and a leg when they stay 😂xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous soft pastel colours and a beautiful floral arrangement Vicky, good to see a young man with a healthy appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a happy accident, Vicky! Your son's eggs are just as I like them... sunny side up. At least THAT is sunny... though the invisible orb in the sky is trying to appear as I type xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the soft colour of those flowers Vicky I do love how you layer them up perfectly at the corner I don't think I could get away with that as I feel the need to embellish, those eggs make me feel hungry it makes you wonder where they put all that food my partner is the same he can eat anything and he stays the same weight etc, I am not so lucky,
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card, great save! I love the idea of stamping with Soft Seafoam for "no-line" coloring...I need to try that! And your son's egg creation looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely card, Vicky! Your "happy little accident" resulted in a gorgeous layout. The no-line water coloring technique worked perfectly with the delicate floral image. Thank you for playing in my challenge at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicky, such a wonderful spring card. I love the soft, subtle use of colors and the layout! So glad you shared this with us at The Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurrah for the happy accident - the corner florals are beautiful! I can totally identify with the snack - my 6ft 2" son is a bottomless pit where food is concerned!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pastel flowers are so pretty, Vicky. I'm glad you didn't give up on them! I have no doubt you can find a home for the rest of those snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful card! Sometimes "happy accidents" end up being some of the most favorite cards you create, right? Thanks so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Vicky, you certainly snatched a stunning victory from the jaws of disaster there! Had you not said then none of us would be any the wiser - it's such a lovely design and SO pretty!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your posts are always as charming and interesting as your designs, Vicky! I think in another life you must have been a world-class surgeon. Maybe plastic surgery? (Do they still call it that?) Something that requires finesse and dexterity and an eye for beauty. You must have been enormously chuffed when you put the final touch on this very pretty save!! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell (And well done teaching your son to be such a wonderful cook!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, all I can say is I hope all of my mistakes turn out this beautiful! Absolutely stunning card, thanks for playing along at CC&S!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just so very pretty Vicky - great way to use our colours. Thanks for joining us at CAS Colours & Sketches!
    PS your son's egg sandwich is exactly what my son would make himself too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now you got me hungry for an egg sandwich! I don't crave those often but right now I can't seem to get past it. Enough about the egg, your card is beautiful! The coloring and the cutting, beautiful. Thanks for joining us at CC&S

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)