Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

A piercing glow

I made a quick card for the Less is More challenge on Saturday but piercing continued to occupy my mind and I had another idea, this time for a Christmas card. Come and have a look:


Stampin' Up do two styles of paper piercing templates, the Festive ones and the Essentials ones; they come in packs of three and both packs coordinate with lots of the punches and framelits. I've used the concentric circles on one of the Essentials templates for this card. They're designed to be used individually with the circle punches, but I love the look of all or several of the circles together (see another example here) and it made me think of the glow you get from a candle.


I've been using my Watercolour Wonder crayons with a blender pen lately (the cards will be posted soon!) and I thought the technique would work well for a flame. Can you guess how I cut the flame out? Yes, it's the wing from the 2 step bird punch! That punch will be making the tea next!


The candle is made using my Simply Scored and Stampin' Up's lovely thick vellum - I scored the candle shape, used my stylus on my squishy craft mat to 'colour it in' and make wax drips, and cut it out with my sharp paper snips. It's been in my mind since before last Christmas to see if this would work and I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out  - quite waxy-looking!


I grounded the candle with some pine branches, a gorgeous Cherry Cobbler seam binding bow, a sentiment tag and some fussy-cut holly. This probably isn't the most CAS card I've ever made but there's still plenty of breathing space so I'm hoping I'll get away with it!

Now, what's the date today? Yes, it's the 25th so that means it's Rudolph Day over at the lovely Sandra's blog and I can enter my Christmas card - how's that for planning?!

Here's what you'll need to make this card
Stamps: Beautiful Season, Lovely as a Tree, Petite Pairs
Ink: Always Artichoke, Gumball Green, Cherry Cobbler
Card stock: Very Vanilla, Vellum
Other: Essentials paper-piercing pack, Watercolour Wonder Crayons, blender pen, Real Red marker, Simply Scored, Cherry Cobbler seam binding, 2-step bird punch
I'D BE DELIGHTED TO ORDER STAMPIN' UP ITEMS FOR YOU AND HAVE THEM DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR ADDRESS IN THE UK. I'M COMMITTED TO PROVIDING EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND AM ALWAYS HAPPY TO OFFER HELP AND ADVICE. TO PLACE YOUR ORDER, JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL OR GIVE ME A CALL ON 01280 820593.
• Add a free Sale-a-bration item from this list for every £45 you spend!

I can never look at a candle without thinking of the wonderful Two Ronnies Fork Handles sketch. One of the lovely things about having children is that you can share all your old favourite comedy moments with them and my daughter and I have just been doubled up over this one. Here it is for a bit of Monday morning viewing entertainment (well it beats hoovering!)



See you tomorrow,

33 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous card!! Fantastic use of the circle piercing templates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is absolutely gorgeous! I love the way you've made the light halo with paper piercing! So very pretty.

    Thanks so much for the video link - I love that sketch. I remember the first time I saw it when I was a kid - I had tears running down my face! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky, that candle is AMAZING! It looks beautifully waxy! I had completely forgotten about The Two Ronnies (35 years since I'd seen it); thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic card. I just love that candle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Christmas card Vicky and a very lever idea


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that waxy candle! - it looks so real!!

    That's my favourite Two Ronnies sketch - I can just picture how my dad used to be weeping with laughter at them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever Vicky and this is a beautiful card - the candle is stunning - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card, Vicky! Great how you've made the candle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Vicky

    Your card is amazing and the candle BRILLIANT, how do you think of these ideas ???? the paper piecing is just perfect.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful card. I love the paper piercing idea.Just perfect for this occasion. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vicky . . . the paper piercing for the glow, and the bird wing for the flame is GENIUS. How inventive of you. Fab Rudolph Day card . . . thank you for entering.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sheer brilliance Vicky.. Lovely card as always....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you created the glow. If you flip that panel over, that's pretty much how I did mine! lol! Great minds do think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow Vicky!! This is incredible and so inventive...love it! And I will soooo be trying the candle!!
    Lizy xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing Vicky and as always you have lit up my Monday morning:) brilliant technique with the candle and another use for my favourite punch!
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love it, I know I keep saying it, but you are very clever and ingenious.

    I just love that sketch, in fact I think it's the funniest sketch ever and they are soooo serious, which makes it even funnier, thanks for the memory LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pierced radiant ring looks awesome Vicky, really super card.
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a stunner! You make it look so easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie G
    Greeting from Michigan,USA Vicki your card is absolutely beautiful !!! The vellum candle is stunning !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just a clever idea of using paper piercing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vicky, Caught up with you at last :0) I love this new card, the piercing is simple perfect for the candle glow:0) The sketch with the Two Ronnies made me smile, fond memories, thank you for sharing, hugs Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous card Vicky. So clever and pretty but elegant all at the same time. Really caught my eye when I was visiting another blog and saw it in the sidebar. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is lovely Vicky. Think you should have run a competition on how you made the candle - I'm sure no-one would have worked it out!!!
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a stunning card, love it.
    Isn't it funny how older comedy sticks in your mind and no matter how many times you hear the clips of great comedy you still laugh, maybe not just as much as when you heard it the first time but certainly more than you laugh at comedians today.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  25. The candle is incredible Vicky, it's like you've melted the real thing onto the card!!! The pierced glow is spectacular too, clever idea :0)
    Thanks for the two Ronnies sketch, James sat and watched it with me... He loves them too :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. i really love the radiance of the paper pricked circles vicky!!


    Thanks for joining us this week
    Jen xx
    "Less Is More"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super card Vicky, and an inspired use of the piercing templates. Love the Two Ronnies sketch - it never fails to make me chuckle x x

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a marvelously lovely card. Your ideas on making the candle with vellum and creating the drips was sheer genius. Great idea on the bird-wing flame too. I love the look of piercing, but have yet to do it. This is a truly lovely card, and thanks for all the ideas you detailed on this one. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a BRILLIANT use of piercing! It really makes the candle glow.
    Tara
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very clever use of piercing there Vicky-very effective,and i haven't seen that Two Ronnies sketch in a looong time-its made me laugh again this morning(never gets old does it ?) !! Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful card. Love how you made the candle and the flame! The paper piercing is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)