Pages

Thursday 5 December 2019

Sledging through the snow!

Hello crafting friends!

Wow! The sunrises are just gorgeous at the moment - glorious pink skies streaked with grey blue! I can't do justice to that but there is at least a hint of it in today's card, where some lively children are taking advantage of the icy conditions to get a sledge out! Come and see:


To make the background, I scribbled lines of watercolour crayons across a trimmed card panel and used a paintbrush and water to merge them into a wash with a strong horizontal line. While this was still wet, I stamped the pine trees from Stampin' Up's Waterfront, using grey ink stamped off once.


Once the background was dry, I stamped the children from Welcome Christmas (retired) in Memento black ink and matted the panel onto black card stock.


To finish the card, I used a Wink of Stella pen to create glittery details (hard to see in the photos!), added a greeting from Endless Wishes (retired) and then mounted the panel onto the card base.


CHALLENGES
I'm linking this card up with 52 Christmas Card Throwdown, which is running a watercolour challenge. Also, the Happy Little Stampers Watercolour Challenge has an optional Christmas theme, so I shall play along there too. Finally, I used the wonderful sketch at Hand Stamped Sentiments and am so happy to be joining in there for the first (but not last) time :)


AND IN OTHER NEWS
It's the first time I've brought Welcome Christmas out this year and it made me smile. As well as a pretty wreath, a couple of sentiments and the lovely sledging image I used today, it features this interesting stamp:


My daughter once looked at it and said thoughtfully: "Hmm, yes. Nothing says Christmas like a man throwing his child at the Christmas tree!" I've never been able to unsee that!

Now, if you didn't have any responsibilities, do you think you'd be up at sunrise to take a sledge out in the ice and snow? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about this!

Hugs,

25 comments:

  1. LOL!! I had to chuckle at your daughter's comment but it's still one of my favorite sets, which I haven't used in FOREVER! Thanks for reminding me that I have it with this sweet card you created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeAnne. Love this set too but have gone off using this particular image!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful card with so much atmosphere Vicky. As for your daughter's comment I did laugh out loud.
    The mornings have been glorious haven't they? quite a few sunsets have been too, making up for all the rain WE have had methinks.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has always made me laugh and I do miss her now she's grown up and left home. Her texts are a joy though ;)
      About the rain, I know and I'm worried all the bulbs will have rotted and we'll have no lovely spring displays :/
      x

      Delete
  3. Simply gorgeous card. Very frosty with pretty sunrise for us this morning!
    Hugs, Sarn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Rain and wind here today - give me back my nice frosty morning!!!
      Have a lovely weekend xxx

      Delete
  4. What a sweet scene, Vicky! I love the subtle coloring and the feeling of motion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! Yes, those horizontal lines do create a sense of motion don't they!

      Delete
  5. WOW WOW WOW I love your card, absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the soft pink sky Vicky - we have had a few pretty sunrises and suns sets in this part of the world this week so it’s lovelt to see one captured on a card. You daughters comment on that tree scene is so funny, made me chuckle - I don’t think I will ever see it the same way again either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and aren't the days so SHORT! It'll soon be the Winter Solstice and then there's hope (for card photographing especially!) I have never used that image since my daughter made that remark!

      Delete
  7. Such a nice winter scene!! Love the soft colors of the sky and the little silhouettes! Thank you so much for playing along with us at 52CCT! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosi - the sky really is that colour sometimes, early in the morning (although I'd rather not know that!) x

      Delete
  8. Love the sky! I’ll take your word for it that the sunrises are like that! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers Watercolor Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - lucky you, not to have seen the sunrises!

      Delete
  9. Such a gorgeous card - I love those children silhouetted in black against the lovely background and I love those trees from Waterfront too as Christmas Trees - I think they are the only stamp I've used from that set so far. Now I can't stop seeing that image on the stamp - lol! Thanks for joining us at HSS this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! I love the trees too and have used them a lot - but I also find the Waterfront mountain and brushstroke stamps really versatile. And the sunshine can just be used to make textured dots... You've made me want to pull it out again!

      Delete
  10. I love this and I have these stamps! I might have to to scrap lift the idea and make a gift tag just like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful technique to use the watercolor crayons to create the sky. I'll have to try it. Thank you for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them in the back of the cupboard and they are brilliant! Thanks for the fun challenge :)

      Delete
  12. Love this image! Makes the perfect Christmas card. The background is perfect for the image also. Thanks for playing with us at Hand Stamped Sentiments!

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)