Pages

Tuesday 28 January 2020

Pretend partial die cutting!

Hello crafting friends!

It's Tuesday, so that means there's a new challenge from CAS Colours and Sketches! I'm enjoying being the Guest Designer there this month and when I saw the sketch I was knocked out by it! Come and see:


Isn't it fabulous?! I especially loved it because it gave me the opportunity to do something that's been in my mind for a while.


The flowers are from Mimosas by Avery Elle and I've stamped them twice alongside each other, turning the stamp upside down for the second stamping, so they look different. I used Spectrum Noir alcohol markers to colour the flowers and then fussy cut around the top of the flowers so that the panel looks like a partial die cut - cunning huh?!!


The panel was cut with one of my Heffy Doodles stitched rectangle dies and I cut another, the same size, from green/blue card stock (SU Baja Breeze I think) to layer underneath, so that it appears above the flowers like a sky.


The sentiment is from Uniko's Simply Said Blocks II and I used my stamping platform to stamp it so that I could give it a couple of stamps for great coverage. For a bit of extra interest, I cut it out and trimmed the end into a flag.


I thought there was enough going on here so I used no embellishments - no, not even a wink! Sometimes I think less is more. What do you think? Are you itching to add a gem or three?!

I hope this sketch is just what you need to create something gorgeous to link up with CAS Colours and Sketches. See you in the gallery!

CHALLENGES
I'm also linking my card up with CAS on Friday, where the theme is Get Well; and Inspired By where the colours on the inspiration photo bowled me over!


AND IN OTHER NEWS
My new craft drawers have been looking at me reproachfully so I went off to Hobbycraft yesterday to get some Plaster of Paris which, I'm told, will transform any old paint into chalk paint. I'll let you know how I get on with that. It was fun being in an actual craft store, even if that craft store has very little in the way of papercrafting items. I did find a couple of embossing folders on offer - which means my craft stash now contains a grand total of TWO embossing folders! Emboldened by this success, I dropped in at The Range and bagged a couple of adorable mini dies! Who knew actual shopping could be so much fun?!


Have you found any crafty items in an actual shop lately? I'd love to hear about it!

Hugs,

34 comments:

  1. Vicky, I'm so happy that this lovely card was shared with us at IB! Flipping that stamp was so smart; your fussy cutting in impeccable; and NO don't add one thing to your card - it's perfection as is!
    =]
    ps happy I could give you a giggle today! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind Michele! Thanks for that giggle! xx

      Delete
  2. Well, your card is divine...what a great sketch, hopefully I can play along this week! It's a perfect take on our IB challenge! But your dies and EFs....if you HAD to get some EFs, those are two perfect choices!!! LOVE that chunky sweater one especially!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen's sketch is perfect isn't it - and have you seen HER card? It's awesome!! Shopping for crafty things is so much fun and especially if you get a bargain!

      Delete
  3. Nice take on the sketch, Vicky. Your coloring is so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, coming from you Yoon Young, that's a real compliment!

      Delete
  4. It's been wonderful having you as guest designer this month. Your cards are beautiful and this one is no exception. I love the colors of the flowers and the fussy cutting. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved being a guest with such a talented team Jeanne. Thanks for having me!

      Delete
  5. So much to answer so here I go! Cunning? Yes, maam, VERY clever indeed and I love the result! Very clever to turn your stamp the second time too - must remember that, so thank you! Love the colors! You've nailed the challenges! Embelly? I agree, not a wink...sorry, Hammy is whispering furiously from my shoulder so, okay, yes, maybe the flowers could have been winked, but the simple sediment is all you need IMHO. (Hammy's opinions, on the other hand, are never humble, but I'm sure you'll pardon him on the grounds of cuteness.)

    Well done on the shopping and how fun to have brick and mortar stores to do that in! We do have the big box stores of Michael's and JoAnn's, but all the sweet stamp stores we used to have in this area closed their doors years ago. BTW, I really love that evergreen frame e/f!! Enjoy playing with your new goodies! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - Hammy is so cute I could forgive him anything! He will have to come and sort out the winking (although I can't promise he won't get eaten by The Beige Beast!

      All our sweet craft shops have closed down too - Hobbycraft and The Range are probably the equivalent of Michael's and JoAnn's. Interesting that those are both first names - are they supposed to sound small and personal?!

      Thanks Darnell - mwah!

      Delete
  6. Your card is gorgeous Vicky, love the design and the colours you've used.
    I went to our local Hobbycraft last week and came away disappointed again, lots of empty spaces and quite expensive too. I do like the Range and I've had some super dies from The Works. We only have 1 independent craft store in Hull and it is limited for choice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne.
      It's just so sad isn't it? Just a very small papercraft section in Hobbycraft, mostly embellishments, and The Range is similar here. I've also had some good dies from The Works thanks to your tip! x

      Delete
  7. Awesome card in lovely colours and just perfect for that sketch.

    Only bought consumables (envelopes, cardstock etc) from my local Hobbycraft recently . . . no GOOD STUFF at all!

    Much, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarn!
      I know, the fun stuff has definitely all gone online - but I really want to touch it and see how big/small it really is!
      Hug xxx

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for that stamp! I'm going to have to remember this. I really love this soft and pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have inspired you, even just a tiny bit Julie, I am thrilled!

      Delete
  9. A very peaceful card. Just what I would want when I don't feel well! Thanks for joining us at CAS on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a few get well cards lately and am hoping they'll act as a talisman and I won't need any of them!

      Delete
  10. Love this Vicky! Another awesome technique and I think easier that partial die cutting? Love the colors and the stitched layers! Good shopping! I can't wait to see what you do with them! I haven't been shopping in a real store in a while. I think I need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you've said it now Bonnie! I tried making a partial die cut card recently and it was an all round disaste - whereas this card was a doddle!
      Shopping in a real craft store is fun but it's finding one that is the problem!

      Delete
  11. Fabulous card, fabulous idea, fabulous colouring and cutting, fabulous way of using the stitched rectangles, and fabulous tip......I have just got some bold sentiments, often rush my stamping and use a block instead of stamparatus...thanks for sharing, and enjoy the new toys err tools xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a gorgeous card! Love your beautiful flowers! Thanks for playing along at CAS on Friday Challenges! Crafty hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card, Vicky. The Pound Shop is great for picking up rhinestones, pearls, and even washi tape. I also buy my padded envelopes from there too, much cheaper than anywhere else, but the same quality xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your card Vicky, I wouldn't have thought of doing the sketch like that, but seeing yours makes me think how wonderful to be able to see things like you do. Love your embossing folders and the dies, Super buys.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a compliment Faith! I must say, I've often thought it must be fun in YOUR mind - you are a thinker-outside-the-box! x

      Delete
  15. Very pretty card - love how elegant it looks. The coloring is beautiful - Thanks for being our Guest Designer at CAS Colours & Sketches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. It's been great fun guesting with you guys this month :)

      Delete
  16. This is absolutely gorgeous - so soft! Great job with the sketch - thank you! And thank you so much for being our guest designer this month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a pretty card. I love how you incorporated the challenges. Thanks for playing at Inspired By.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a beautiful take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vicky, your card is all-around fabulous, from the lovely coloring job with the pretty color scheme, to the impeccable job you did fussy cutting the image, to the stitched edge that adds just enough embellishment. It's been wonderful having you as our January guest designer at CC&S! Please continue to join us in our future challenges! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)