Pages

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Christmas card - using Notably Ornate and Serene Snowflakes

I'm rather liking the layered look in clothes this season and have been experimenting with layers on my cards. This isn't my usual style at all but it was fun to try something different and I like how dimensional the card turned out.


The bird from Notably Ornate is a big favourite of mine and I think he looks very comfortable bearing the olive branch of peace. I can already imagine him doing all sorts of other tricks throughout the year, so watch out for him! The Serene Snowflakes are gorgeous too - and perfect for those quick One Sheet Wonders!

How to make this card:

  • Cut an A5 card base from Whisper White card stock.
  • Cut a piece of Cherry Cobbler card stock 14.8 x 3cm and glue it to the card base.
  • Cut a piece of designer paper 13.5 x 7cm and layer it on top of the Cherry Cobbler.
  • Take a piece of Night of Navy card stock 10 x 7.5cm and crimp half of it. Fix it on top of the designer paper with dimensionals.
  • Cut a 14.5cm length of Marina Mist satin ribbon and cut an inverted V in the ends. Layer on top of the crimped card stock with Snail.
  • Cut a piece of Marina Mist card stock 8cm square and stamp it with the cluster of snowflakes using Whisper White craft ink. Sponge the edges of the card stock with the ink. Attach this on top of the ribbon with dimensionals.
  • Cut a 10cm length of Real Red 1/4" grosgrain ribbon and cut an inverted V in the ends. Layer on top of the stamped card stock with Snail.
  • Stamp a sentiment and cut out with the extra large oval punch and fix on top of the ribbon with dimensionals. Cut a branch with the two-step bird punch, snip its lower leaf off and glue to the oval. Stamp the bird on a scrap of Whisper White card stock using Night of Navy ink. Cut him out with paper snips and add his eye with a white gel pen. Fix him to the card front with dimensionals so that it looks as if he has the branch in his beak.

Supplies
Stamps: Serene Snowflakes, Notably Ornate, Season of Joy
Ink: Real Red, Not Quite Navy, Whisper White craft ink
Card stock: Whisper White, Cherry Cobbler, Marina Mist, Not Quite Navy
Other: Marina Mist satin ribbon, Real Red 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, two-step bird and extra large oval punches

When I make cards I usually use stamps from the same set - after all these stamps have been specifically designed to work beautifully together - but every now and again I like to look at all my stamps (I have them displayed on narrow shelves above my desk) and just let myself go! And today is one of those days - phew! I feel quite giddy! What will I do next I wonder?!

Tomorrow is Three Minute Thursday! Are you ready for another nippy little card to add to your Christmas card stash? See you tomorrow then!


9 comments:

  1. Lovely! Your peace bird is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card. Love the layers.. love the banner ribbons :D

    Thanks for your kind wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant - those colours go together really well and I love the ribbons. - Jacqueline xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky, oh, how I love all those layers! Those blues and textures are just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour combos. And I blame you for making me add Notably Ornate to my wish list!
    Gem
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the combination of stamp sets. A beautifull card with fab colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your every explanation of your card made..and the cards you made are fantastic...not complicated but soothing to see..and simple too...love them

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your stacked, dimensional layers. It has so much visual interest. I also like how you made the bird as the accent and the sentiment as the focal point.

    I'm just the opposite of you in stamping. I hardly ever use images only from one set. I tend to mix and match.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty with all those blue layers. The red banner then really pops. The little leafy branch in the bird's beak make the card very "peace on earth"-ish. Love it! (Fun to step outside your usual style once in awhile, isn't it?!)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)