He is the cutest creature I've ever seen! I just want to scoop this little bunch up and give them a big squish!
It took a little while to make this card because I had to cut the owl out five times - and those feet are fiddly! But when the new owl punch becomes available in April, this will actually be a very quick card and perfect for many occasions.
Just LOOK at them! All craning their necks to look at the little chap in the spotlight!
Yes YOU! It's YOUR birthday! Let's get started on opening those prezzies!!!
It is so easy to change the owls' expressions just by using a black marker! I urge you to have a play with this - it's so much fun! (And the perfect way to entertain children on a rainy day in half term...!)
Here's how to make this card:
- Cut a 15cm x 20cm piece of Crumb Cake card stock. Score and fold in half to make a card base.
- Cut a 6.5cm x 18.5cm piece of designer paper and attach it to the card front - I used this lovely leafy design from the fabulous Play Date range.
- Stamp your message with words from the Basic Phrases sentiment set, using a stamp-a-majig to keep it straight.
- Cut a 21.5cm length of Early Espresso grosgrain ribbon and cut an inverted V in each end. TIP: I keep a pair of paper snips for cutting only ribbon - that keeps them really sharp so your ribbon doesn't fray. Fix the ribbon above the sentiment.
- Use an Early Espresso marker to colour the owl stamp, leaving out the centre of the eyes, and stamp on Whisper White card stock. Do this five times. Now colour your owls - I used Crumb Cake and a blender pen for their tummies and the rims of their eyes, and a Pumpkin Pie marker for their beaks. Add eyes with a Basic Black marker and enjoy watching your owls come to life!
- Cut the owls out using sharp paper snips and arrange them on the ribbon. Glue the back three of the group and use dimensionals for the frontman of the group and for the owl in the spotlight.
Stamps: Basic Phrases (sentiment), Punch Bunch (FREE Sale-a-bration set)
Ink: Early Espresso, Crumb Cake
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Whisper White
Other: Early Espresso 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, Play Date designer paper
I got the idea for this card from countless school plays and class assemblies that I've attended over the years. You've probably seen it too - the child who's gazing out of the window, in his own little world, blissfully unaware that it's his big moment and that he's been given his cue several times, increasingly desperately by his fellows... until a distinctly audible (and not always very polite!) cue comes from someone stage left and he is made only too aware that his time has come and - oh no! - he's forgotten his words!
Now, if you've been inspired by any of my Sale-a-bration samples, please don't leave it too late to get your free sets! Just click here to email me your order or ask any questions - I'm always very happy to help.
Have a wonderful weekend!