Pages

Friday 15 April 2011

Note card using Nature Walk

I can't decide whether my favourite set in the mini catalogue is Nature Walk, Baby Blossom or Strength and Hope - or Plane and Simple as I've really enjoyed using that set this week! Well, whatever... today it's got to be Nature Walk!

This is a card we made with the set at a lovely workshop this week:


I love using the Top Note die to create shadow layers and when you sponge a background onto it, the ink really highlights the stitched effect.


Who wants to cut out fiddly legs? And who needs to? It's easy to cut out the bird minus his legs and, if you stamp the bird on the background and then pop up the cut-out body over the top, his legs magically appear!

Seam binding is the softest, prettiest ribbon around at the moment and so easy to knot or tie into a perfect bow. It's shown here in Pear Pizzazz but also comes in delicious Baja Breeze, Rose Red and Crumb Cake - SO difficult to choose a favourite!


The sentiments from Sincere Salutations set are perfect for this style of card and I like to ink them with markers to highlight some words with colour.

Here's how to make this card:
  • Stack an A6 piece of Whisper White and an A6 piece of Rose Red card stock together and run through the Big Shot with the Top Note die. I love how the Big Shot cuts more than one piece of card stock at once!
  • Sponge a sky using Bashful Blue ink on the top two thirds of the Whisper White Top Note shape. Tear a piece of scrap paper to use as a mask and hold it over the sky while you lightly sponge in a ground with Early Espresso ink. Pay particular attention to the edges of the card stock to highlight the 'stitching' on the Top Note shape.
  • Ink the bird image with Soft Suede and stamp onto the sponged ground. Ink it up again and add definition to the wing and the eye with a Chocolate Chip marker. Stamp the bird onto a piece of scrap Whisper White card stock and cut it out - TIP: don't worry about cutting round the fiddly legs of the bird. When you pop the cut-out onto the stamped bird with dimensionals, the stamped legs appear to be attached.
  • Use markers to ink the plant image and stamp a couple of plants to the left of the bird and one to the right.
  • Ink a sentiment with markers and add it to the scene using a stamp-a-majig for position.
  • Glue the scene to the Rose Red Top Note shape letting some of the Rose Red card stock show.
  • Snip the points off the left-hand side of the shape. Punch a hole with the 1/8" handheld punch and knot a piece of Pear Pizzazz seam binding through it.
  • Score and fold an A5 piece of Very Vanilla card stock to create a card base and mount the Top Note panel onto the card front.

Supplies
Stamps: Nature Walk, Sincere Salutations
Ink: Bashful Blue, Early Espresso, Soft Suede
Card stock: Very Vanilla, Whisper White, Rose Red
Other: Markers, 1/8" handheld punch, Top Note die, Pear Pizzazz seam binding

Can you believe it's Friday already? I refuse to even think how much of the holidays have gone by!

Thank you so much for dropping in today. Have a wonderful weekend and don't forget to come back on Monday for some male card inspiration!

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely scene you've made, and I think the shadow effect is brilliant! Lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job Vicky. I love the soft blue and the bold red together and your bird looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS card Vicky
    id not have cut the legs out either! Never do fiddly me lol
    Love the shadow effect you have created

    Thank you for all your comments on my blog
    mandi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea for those bird legs and I love the stitching detail around the edge of the top note die. Another 'feel good' card. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another triumph. Your 'nature' cards are always beautiful and show your love of the countryside.
    I feel sorry for the 'legless' bird though, maybe he had an overdose of rose hips or elderberries! LJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely card Vicky. I love the colours and the shadow effect is so effective. Great idea for the bods legs!!!
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the different techniques you've used on this card. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful (as always) Vicky. Enjoy your weekend
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are just beautiful. I have never really looked at Stampin Up stamps before, you are really tempting me to go look with those cards! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your so good at creating these beautiful scenes on your cards and this one is set off perfectly with the shadowed frame.
    Thank you so much for the comments on my blog, you made me smile to think my card knocked you off your chair! lol
    Have a great weekend.
    Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent! I just discovered your blog yesterday & I must say that I'm very impressed. I've seen a lot of SU Demo blogs, but yours is far and away my favourite. Your work is so inspiring, your ideas so clever and your instructions so easy to follow that I'd consider making your blog my home page, if it weren't for The Daily Puppy :-) Thanks for all you do and for sharing your inspiration with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, all words I´d love saying now have already been said :-) I am amazed by your skill to choose the colours, to set the focus on special things and your cas style. I like that you used dimensionals to give more focus to that wonderful bird and how you created a shadow with the red paper. Enjoy your weekend, Vicky!! Janna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Saturday morning, Vicky! Love how you used the two Top Note die cuts to create a shadow effect. The sponging is great and does really highlight the stitching... the seam binding knot is the perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vicky, this is beautifully done and perfect in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card Vicky, love what you've done with this set.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)