Pages

Friday 6 May 2011

Mini tissue holder and get well card

Good morning! I'm very excited today because I have the cutest project to show you! It's a little tissue box holder - not my idea I hasten to add: I first saw them here on Stephanie's blog. Mine is very similar, although I've made it quite a bit smaller so that my tissues fit snugly inside.


Here's how to make it:
Start with a 20cm square piece of Very Vanilla card stock.


Score it at 3cm, 8.5cm, 11.5cm and 17cm. Now turn your card stock 90 degrees...


... and score it at 1.5cm, 4.5cm, 15.5cm and 18.5cm.


You'll need to cut away the shaded areas with sharp paper snips...


...until you should end up with something that looks like this! Now it's time to stamp the card stock.


The butterfly from Strength and Hope makes a striking design in Basic Black ink. When you've stamped it, fold all your creases  crisply with a bone folder and snip flaps in the four places as shown above.


Trim off the shaded areas above  - this is going to be the side that doesn't get sealed, so that you can fill the box with tissues.


Fold over the top flap and, using the extra large oval punch, make a cut in what will be the front of your box. Use the 3/4" circle punch to make a nick in the refill flap.


Curve the corners on your refill flap. By the way, my corner rounder is the old-style punch - I've had it for years - but they come in the flat, easy-to-store design if you buy them now.


Right! It's time to apply tape to the box and assemble it. I always use Sticky Strip to make bags and boxes so I can be confident it's not going to come apart!


This is what the box looks like when it's assembled.


And here it is with its refill end open. Of course, you can make the other side the refill side if you prefer.


I filled my box up with a packet of mini-tissues and tied some of the wide striped grosgrain ribbon around it. This ribbon really does have the wow factor and I particularly love it in dramatic black and cream. The box is shown here with a coordinating card - and can you see? I used that gorgeous striped ribbon again to cover a button to use as the centre of my flower accent.


My favourite wood carving flourish from Strength and Hope makes an effective frame round the outside of a 9cm square Very Vanilla card base and I added this lovely sentiment from Hopeful Thoughts. The flower is die cut using an exclusive Stampin' Up Bigz L die called Fun Flowers - which frankly deserves a whole week's attention to itself!

Well! That brings us to the end of a week filled with Strength and Hope (which I've needed, let me tell you, as I've been struggling with a tooth infection this week!) I do hope you've enjoyed the projects I've been showing you but, more importantly, I hope that something you've seen here might have persuaded you and your friends to buy the Strength and Hope set and raise money for breast cancer research. Please email me to order your set, or give me a call on 01280 820593.

Have a lovely weekend - and don't forget to come back next week, when I'll be using what could be my favourite designer paper of all time! 

27 comments:

  1. What a stunning project and card. You have made a lot of beautiful things with this gorgeous stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Strength and Hope used as the border! You've convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stamping work. Love the black and white and the box is just fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! Beautiful tissue box!! I love the elegance you have created here with this CAS design, it's sure to brighten anyone's day even if they are under the weather! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would look so pretty on a dressing table, my dressing table actually. I love how you've used the wood carving stamp as a border on the card, but then I also love the covered button and the die cut flower, I hope to do some experimenting with mine this weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love love this project Vicky, so much nicer than those plastic packets the tissues come in. Love the card too, great idea to cover a button with ribbon :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab project (as have all the ones been this week!) Love how you have used the wood carving stamp as a border and how you have covered the button with a ribbon - you are so creative! Thanks for sharing! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG . . . this is such a GREAT post. FABULOUS projects - thanks for the inspiration. LOVE that get well card. Thanks for the tissue box tutorial.

    Sorry to learn you've been suffering all week . . . hope you feel better soon.

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the words of a recent cookery contest 'it doesn't get better than this'!! To take a mundane item like a pack of tissues and turn it into a thing of beauty is sheer genius and the card that goes with it is beautiful.
    If you can do this when you are suffering heaven help us when you feel really well!Sorry that you have been poorly, hope you feel better soon. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black and white can be so classy with the right images, and of course you have the perfect images and layout. What a clever project.
    I have just caught up on a bunch of your posts, which was a treat. Life has been busy with no stamping, blogging or blog reading. I loved your ornament vases-they make me want that punch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfull card and gift for someone who is not well truley stunning in black and white will have to give the tissue box a go when im up to it looks like we are suffering together on the teeth front i now have an absess !!!! been back today and got to go again tomorrow look like ive been in a fight har har Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky, This is utterly gorgeous a lovely creation. The stamps are super too :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this project - can't wait to try it out - Jacqueline xx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicky
    you certainly won me over ...another stunning card ...cant wait to receive mine...
    hope you will soon feel better
    hugs
    sylvie
    xxxxx
    your no 1 Fan .......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vicky :) Gorgeous combination and the tutorial is great, thanks so much for it! Have a nice weekend! Janna

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both absolutely gorgeous Vicky. Hope your bad tooth doesn't spoil your weekend
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a lovely project Vicky!!! super tutorial too!!
    I host a linky party on the weekends, if you would ever want to link up one of your wonderful creations, I'd be thrilled!
    Enjoy your weekend!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a clever tissue box! And the matching card is beautiful! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a terrific idea! I love the way that you framed the sentiment with another stamp. What a lovely gift set! (achoo!?), lol. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great idea for a simple little "I hope you're feeling better soon" type of gift and card. Surely just looking at it would make anyone feel better! (Now to catch up on what you've done the rest of the week... :) )

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so elegant, Vicki! I'd be afraid to use it because it's too pretty. I love the matching card, too! I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oops, that would be Vicky with a 'y'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, WHAT A FABULOUS POST I love the get well card, black on white is simply stunning!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so cute. I love the butterflies stamped in black. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant idea - could have done with this while in Mumbai - I had an awful cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Forgot to say that the card and box look amazing! Great colour!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)