Pages

Saturday 25 May 2013

Bank holiday weather - somewhere else!

It's a bank holiday weekend in the UK so naturally I thought it would be the perfect time to make a Christmas card! The challenge at Less is More (where I was delighted to discover I'd been showcased!) is Humour this week and the ladies at the 52 {Christmas} card throwdown would like to see some Bakers Twine so I put them together to make this card:


I have now photographed this card three times and I cannot get the photos to look white and clean! Anyway, I hope you can see through the murk: The sentiment was computer-generated using a font called 'Give you Glory' - it says 'Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... somewhere else!' I stamped the branch from Stampin' Up's Take Care set and loaded it with 'snow', heat embossed with white embossing powder. The same technique was used to add snowflakes around it, then I sponged over it with Pool Party ink and wiped the image clean.


This little owl shivering away on the branch is from the Aviary set. I stamped him onto designer paper and defined his eyes with a marker and then snuggled him up in a bakers twine scarf and a little hood made with the Christmas ornament punch in my Merry Minis punch pack. Isn't he a cutie?! I just want to pinch his little cheeks!

I shall also be entering this card in Sandra's Rudolph Day challenge (kindly set up to encourage us to get at least some of our Christmas cards made throughout the year!)

Here's what you'll need to make this card
Stamps: Take Care, Aviary, (computer-generated sentiment)
Ink: Soft Suede
Card stock: Whisper White, Cherry Cobbler
Other: Basic Black markers, scrap of Patterns designer paper, paper snips, stamp-a-majig, Cherry Cobbler bakers twine, versamark, white embossing powder, heat tool
I CAN ORDER STAMPIN' UP ITEMS FOR YOU AND HAVE THEM DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR ADDRESS IN THE UK. I'M COMMITTED TO PROVIDING EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND AM ALWAYS HAPPY TO OFFER HELP AND ADVICE. TO FIND OUT MORE OR TO PLACE YOUR ORDER, JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL OR GIVE ME A CALL ON 01280 820593.
• Get more for your money this month: Place an order for £250 and choose £65 worth of products free! Or join SU and get £155 worth of products for just £99! Offers end 30th May 2013

People sometimes ask me where I get my inspiration from and I have no hesitation is saying that today's owl looks how I felt yesterday (except that my skin was blue!) It was like November here! The sun has come out today but I don't trust it... I'm certainly not about to go trotting outside with my swimming cozzy on!


Hope you enjoy your weekend - an extra long one if you're in the UK! I'll be back on Tuesday with the first photos of my This and That journal. Hope to see you then.

39 comments:

  1. I just love that little guy, shivering there on his branch with his wooly scarf and hat! Thanks for the tip on making snow. I also find it difficult to photograph white cards. Perfect for our challenge at 52 CCT Thanks for playing!

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely Christmas card. he's a dear little owl. Make the most of the sun when you get it, even if it only lasts a day. I live in Spain but I still love it when the summer weather starts. We'll probably all be moaning it's too hot before long, but I wouldn't swap it for UK weather! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute Vicky! I thingk that sentiment is hearfelt with the weather we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card, so very sweet and a great image.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely Vicky. That owl's a real cutie.

    The weather here is amazing today. I've just been sitting in the conservatory doing nothing apart from reading the papers and checking my emails. Yesterday was sunny too but I had to do housework and then go to work! Thursday, my day off, was windy, could and there were lots of nasty showers. Especially when I had to walk the dogs!!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little owl, I know what you mean ,it's pretty chilly here too. nice and sunny today but the wind is still cold.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card Vicky and just love our little owl and how clever to use twine for his scarf...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great fun and sweet card congrats on your showcase last week too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally fun card. Made me laugh out loud. I love the scarf, you're owl is so cute.
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww how cute is this little fella ! What a lovely card-and such a great sentiment.
    Fingers crossed for some nice Bank Holiday weather for us all :)
    Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your owl is so cute with his twine scarf. Yep no snow allowed here either! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol my thoughts exactly, great card! xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, I'm so with Mr Owl on this one! Snow? Yuk!

    But the card's supercute. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff Vicky, I love his little hat!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great original card.
    Linby x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card, Vicky. The bakers twine makes a perfect scarf for a cute little owl. It's been a glorious day here in Ayrshire, sorry. I hope it improves for you down there tomorrow. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness. The CAS design is the perfect showcase for this totally adorable card! The owl's twine scarf and little bitty hood are such fun finishing touches. Fantastic job, Vicky! I'm so glad you shared your card in this week's challenge at 52{C}CT, and I look forward to having you join us again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely darling, Vicky! LOVE the use of the twine for a scarf for that sweet owl! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fab card Vicky, and yes it's unbelievable how cold it's been here! Although the sun was out yesterday it was still cold. I don't think I have ever had to wear my winter coat plus a wooly jumper in May before!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant Vicky! I just love the teeny little scarf - a super card altogether :)

    Sunshine here this morning - get yer cossie on girl, I'm gonna blow up the paddling pool in the Playground. Even though Mrs A prefers to do several lengths of the duck pond, that's her choice and the fact we have to shove her straight into the shower afterwards 'cos the pong is pretty awful it's something of a trial.

    Have a lovely day! Hugs, Di xx

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. vicky this is super cute... love the sentiment

    Thanks for joining us this week
    Jen
    "Less Is More"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hola Vicky, to much time with visit you, i´m in a very strefull time sorry.
    Simply perfect CAS card, and your inpiration is really funny, youself:D!!! , i think the sun forget UK :D.
    A hug from Palma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, Vicky! That is so sweet! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well it looks like you scared the cold weather away with your snowy scene Vicky :0)
    The little owl looks adorable in his woolley hat and I love the snowy branch too!!
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous card Vicky, I love the little shivering owl, he has a very cool hat too!! The sentiment is just brilliant!

    I'm well thank you for asking, I hope you are too? Hugs Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  26. How organised, making your Christmas cards now, I'm impressed! And such a sweet little card, Vicky, the owl is adorable.
    Hope you had better weather this weekend, the sun's been out here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well what a surprise I got today. Clicking over to check out your blog I paused for a moment thinking I had made a mistake!!LOL! So this is what happens when you go away for a week to Convention - you come back and people have had Blog Makeovers! How very clever of you. And what a sweet idea for the ornament punch. I need a little hood like this right now. Brrr.... (but aren't you supposed to be coming in to summer weather???Vx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Vicky . . . I'm playing catch up!

    What a cute festive card. Hope it's warmed up down your way now.

    Thanks for joining in again.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your owl is adorable, and I love the added Baker's Twine scarf. He really looks all snugged down in it. Loved that sentiment too. Expresses exactly how I feel myself! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL! That's brilliant! The sentiment is great and I adore the little owl with his twine scarf! Love it! Thanks for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sorry your weather was so rotten. Rotten weather seems to make for great inspiration though in this case. Love the scarf on the owl. Super cute. Cards with that much white are very hard to photograph well - but you did a nice job. thanks so much for joining us this week at 52CCT!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I came over from LIM to tell you how funny and adorable I think your little owl scene is, Vicky! Since the link took me to your home post, I've been inspired and amused as I've scrolled down to here! That picture of you with the bluebells is oh la la beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super fun card Vicky,love that cute owl!we have sun today yeaaaaaah, hope you have it too! :) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. This really made me smile Vicky - and I love his little hat! Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness, the chilly little owl is just SO adorable, love him! What a sweet Christmas card Vicky, thanks so much for sharing it with us at 52 {C}CT! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sweet little Mr Christmas Owl. Love his wee scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats on your win at 52 CCT! That card is just the cutest! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It is really too cute, this little owl and how you used the twine is absolutely great!
    Congratulations to the Top Honor.

    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)