Pages

Tuesday 18 February 2020

Sunset silhouettes

Hello crafting friends!

Remember the distant memories of summer, relaxing outside in the evening, with a chilled glass of rosé perhaps, watching the sun set, lifting your face to catch a warm perfumed breeze... That was the inspiration for today's card and oh, I only wish!


The card started with a piece of watercolour paper, dampened and given an ombré look with some Stampin' Up Real Red ink, a large flat paintbrush and some water. When it was dry, I measured up with a ruler and pencil and cut out this shape. I've seen this shape quite a lot around blogland but don't have a die. I think I definitely want the die now!


For a bit of drama, I used black ink to stamp the gorgeous silhouette image from Uniko's Just Because onto my inky background. The watercolour paper wasn't brilliant for picking up the ink but my stamping platform was a big help as I was able to stamp four or five times knowing that the stamp would press into the exact same place each time.


The sentiment was created using two more Uniko stamp sets: Wild and You Are, Yes You. I used my stamping platform again here so that I could position the words accurately.


I added a sprinkling of gems for a touch of sparkle and the final task was to run markers round the edges of the cut-out shape to avoid that naked edge look, especially as the watercolour paper is really thick! I used three colours of marker - red, dark pink and pale pink -  to match the ombré.

So, so proud to have been the Top Pick at CAS Watercolour with this card!


CHALLENGES
Uniko is celebrating its 8th birthday and there are some fabulous party celebrations going on with prizes on offer. I've used lots of my Uniko stash and am joining the fun there! I'm also linking up with CAS Watercolour Challenge where the colour theme is Red and Black. Finally, this is my second entry at The Flower Challenge where 'Just Add Leaves' is the challenge. I liked the idea that this flower silhouette is ambiguous - you can't tell which are leaves and which are flowers!


AND IN OTHER NEWS
My youngest son has been home from uni for a couple of days and it's been lovely to have both my sons here. It's been a mixed few days though... I've just discovered that my youngest has travelled back to uni with some rather important keys in his pocket! And while I was busy cooking a roast on Sunday, the oven died a death and everything had to be finished on the stove! It turned out to be delicious but now I'm having to remember not to buy food that requires oven cooking until we can get it replaced.

Thanks for popping round to visit today. See you soon!

Hugs,

22 comments:

  1. A really super colour pallet and the shoe of the image reminds me of a jewel.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, shout out to CAS Watercolour Challenge for the colour palette! I know what you mean about the shape - it does have a gem-ish feel doesn't it?!
      x

      Delete
  2. That's gorgeous Vicky! Hope you get sorted soon. I hate cooking so wouldn't mind an excuse not to! Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley. It's fine about not having an oven - so many things can be cooked on a stove top/under a grill/in a microwave/in a slow cooker. And lots of people in the world don't have any of these things so I should just get over myself! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful card!

    Oh no . . . missing keys and a dead oven. That's not good. Hopefully all can be resolved in the not-too-distant future.

    Many xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarn! I'm not stressing about it at all - honest!
      Much xxx

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous Vicky - I love the washed background, it really makes your silhouette stand out. I hope your son isn’t too far away to retrieve your keys and I feel your pain on the oven - I have a washing machine that is on its way out and sounds like a rocket launching every time it spins! Perhaps we should trade chores this week?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! Very therapeutic doing a wash on watercolour paper - but not so much in a washing machine that sounds like a rocket launching! Haha, I may hold you to that chore trade!!

      Delete
  5. LOVE the shape, the colour and the black, a Fabulous card Vicky. OOPS! for your son and his pockets LOL. Hope you can get you oven soon.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith! Everything is going to have to wait... but that's ok, I learned a lot about patience when I had my children! x

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous design and card, Vicky! I love the ombre, watercoloured background with the silhouette blooms. Hope you get your keys back soon! :) Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loll, and thanks for your great challenges :)

      Delete
  7. This is so pretty Vicky! Love your ombre water coloring and the shape...I wouldn't mind a die like that either! And your silhouettes and sentiment both are just lovely against your gorgeous background! Thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us at CAS Watercolour!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marcia! I really like this shape but of course I can't remember who makes one now!

      Delete
  8. This is gorgeous. I honestly thought you'd used a die xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it certainly would have been easier to use a die! xx

      Delete
  9. It doesn't look like you need a die because you've cut this shape beautifully as well as adding a perfect ombre watercolor background! Love the silhouette wild flowers! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd seen me with pencil and ruler, agonising over the measurements with my tongue out Bonnie, you'd be recommending the die!!! Thank you for this fabulous challenge - it always makes me do things I wouldn't normally do! In this case, a wash with a bright colour - I usually use pale washes. I'm emboldened to try other darker colours now :)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely design with your pretty shades of red on the center panel and pretty silhouette stamping Vicky! thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolor this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely challenge, thanks Julia :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful ombre background and the flowers look so dramatic! I do like that shape too. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your scene encased in the panel is gorgeous! Swooning over your perfect ink blending and crisp silhouette image! Thank you for celebrating Uniko's 8th birthday with us!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)