Pages

Friday 22 February 2013

Stampin' Up papers ring box tutorial

Ever since Stampin' Up launched the Simply Scored board in the UK, I've been happily making boxes and bags with it. But sometimes you want a box that's a specific size and, since it's much easier using a whole measurement than a part measurement, it can be easier to use centimetres than inches. That's when the metric board comes in handy - you just slot it into the Simply Scored base and it's ready to use.

finished Stampin Up ring box


I couldn't think why I needed the metric board add-on at first and hadn't even taken it out of its box, but it really has opened up new horizons for my box and bag-making!

I've had a flurry of emails asking how I made this ring box I posted a week or so ago, so I've made a tutorial for you.

Here's how to make the ring box:

Stampin Up's new trimmer

Start by cutting the card stock and paper. I used this gorgeous paper from the new Print Poetry designer paper stack for the lid - you'll need a 8.1cm x 8.1cm piece. The base is made from a piece of Naturals Ivory card stock measuring 10cm x 10cm and the insert is Marina Mist card stock measuring 12cm x 12cm.

Simply Scored metric board

Score the base 3cm in from the edge all the way around (as I have in the picture above) and then score the lid 2cm in from the edge all the way around (not shown.)
using Simply Scored metric board

The insert needs to be scored both 2cm and 4cm in from the edge all the way around.

use a bone folder

I always use a bone folder to make nice crisp folds in my card stock and paper.

snip the card stock

Snip the folds in as shown in the picture above - this box is square so there's no right or wrong side to snip!
make the box insert

Cut away the parts of the insert as shown above, leaving a cross shape. Now it's time to make the bit that holds the ring:

mark the ring holder

Find the centre of the cross shape by holding a ruler across the diagonal of the central square and marking the halfway point. Now hold the ruler vertically and make holes at 1cm and 3cm with a paper piercer.

cut the ring holder

Using the ruler as a cutting guide, cut a thin slot from hole to hole. You should end up with something that looks like the picture above.

assemble the ring holder

Turn the insert over and glue the flaps down (you can use any adhesive as the base will eventually hold it together.) The double thickness makes the insert strong - you don't want it buckling when you slot the ring into it!

prepare ring box for assembly

When you go to assemble the box, you'll notice that the side flaps overlap inside. This can make the box a bit bulky so snip them a little shorter as shown in the photo above. I've also rounded the corners of the flaps for a neater finish. Add Sticky Strip...


... and assemble the box tightly around the insert to make sure it fits. Now the box is ready for a lid!

finger holds

I like to snip out 'finger holds' on my lid using a 3/4" circle punch. I've also rounded the corners again to make a nice, neat finish. Add sticky strip...

assemble box lid

... and assemble the lid around the box to ensure a good snug fit. Hmm, looks like I need a bit more Sticky Strip on those edges!


The  box is ready for a ring! I seem to have mislaid my Cartier diamond cluster (so careless!) but here's the ring I made out of one of the Soda Tops from the new spring/summer catalogue instead! (This post tells you how to make it.)

decorated Stampin Up ring box

The pretty paper I used for the lid needs very little embellishment but this gorgeous taffeta ribbon in Daffodil Delight coordinates beautifully. I added a tag made with the Itty Bitty Banners stamp set (get this for free during the Sale-a-bration promotion!)

Here's what you'll need to make this box
Stamps: Itty Bitty Banners (Sale-a-bration freebie)
Ink: Midnight Muse
Card stock: Naturals Ivory, Marina Mist
Punches: 3/4" circle punch, corner rounder
Other: Print Poetry designer paper stack, Simply Scored + metric board, Daffodil Delight taffeta ribbon, white bakers twine, paper piercer, paper snips, bone folder
I'D BE DELIGHTED TO ORDER STAMPIN' UP ITEMS FOR YOU AND HAVE THEM DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR ADDRESS IN THE UK. I'M COMMITTED TO PROVIDING EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND AM ALWAYS HAPPY TO OFFER HELP AND ADVICE. TO PLACE YOUR ORDER, JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL OR GIVE ME A CALL ON 01280 820593.
• DON'T FORGET TO ADD ONE OF THESE FREE SALE-A-BRATION ITEMS FOR EVERY £45 YOU SPEND

Aren't boxes brilliant?! I remember one year, our washing machine broke just before Christmas (these things do pick their times!) and the replacement arrived in a very large box. I can't remember what presents we'd actually bought the children that year, but I do remember that box being an enormous hit. We cut windows with panes and doors that actually opened using a stanley knife and I drew a holly tree outside the front door with marker pens - it was called Holly Cottage. Sigh... what uncomplicated days those were!

I'll be back very soon with more crafting fun. Have a wonderful weekend!

17 comments:

  1. Lovely ring box, Vicky. Love the insert. Those papers are so pretty, as is the ribbon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat project! Thanks for the easy-to-follow tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous tutorial Vicky, what a sweet little gift box! Pretty papers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clear and very helpful tutorial making this lovely ring box. Thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgous box Vicky and thank you for your tutorial...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Vicky - one to try I think. Loved the washing machine box tale - so, so true! Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous box (love the papers too). I can see that the metric score board will be a must when I get back to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for posting this tutorial - I am getting my SS soon and this is so very helpful ! Lovely little project ! Hugs Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful box and super tutorial, thank you Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet and beautiful box, Vicky! Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful tutorial for all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty little box, Vicky, in lovely paper. Perfect for a Cartier ring, should one ever appear!
    Oh yes, kids and cardboard boxes - they love them. So do the cats! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The box is so pretty Vicky and I love the ring insert! The ring is pretty funky too:)The boxes are always so much fun for the kids, Charlie spent most of a weekend in November in an Amazon box:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty box and great tutorial ! Yes those where the days when the kids could be kept quiet with the packaging, I remember many a happy hour spent making houses and forts out of old boxes sigh.....

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for making this tutorial and making it look so easy. Must try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made an exact same shape and size box for my mums pressie!! Thanks for the idea of a ring insert… it could easily be adapted to hold a necklace too :0)
    Love my scoreboard too.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicky, what a lovely ring and cute little box. Great tutorial too.

    Awesome as always

    Bev x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)