Pages

Tuesday 24 December 2019

Making a winter scene

Hello crafting friends!

My eldest son and my daughter and her boyfriend surprised me by arriving a day early so Christmas has already begun in my house! Today, while they were out doing last minute shopping, I stayed at home to 'clear up' - which actually means I got distracted with some stray bits of white card...


I was wondering what to do with a square piece, a smaller rectangle, and a thin strip and then I had a lightbulb moment - I could put the square and the rectangle together to make a card panel and use the strip for a sentiment to disguise the join!


I decided on a quick inky background on the square snippet:  a few drops of pink, yellow and pale blue ink were smooshed with a little water on my largest acrylic block. The snippet was placed gently in the ink, lifted off, blotted with a kitchen towel and left to dry. Once the background was dry, I stamped the tree (from Stampin' Up's Sheltering Tree) just off the edge using black ink. The background reminded me of a wintery lake scene so I added some birds (from Take Flight 2 by Inkylicious.)


The tree panel was attached to a card base and I rounded the bottom two corners of the rectangular snippet before glueing that to the bottom to make a full card panel. I stamped the thin strip of card stock with a lovely sentiment from Clearly Besotted's Simply Said, trimmed it to size and fixed it over the join.

CHALLENGES
I'm scampering over to the Snippets playground with this card. There are all sorts of shenanigans going on over there, with generous prize draws over the festive period, so do pop over to have a look, read the rules and join in!



AND IN OTHER NEWS
We've kicked off our family get-together with an impromptu and surprisingly fun game of 'Rate The Quality Streets' - each member of the family grading the sweets in order of preference. This triggered anecdotes such as the time a Toffee Penny caused a tooth filling to dislodge and comments such as "The caramel ran down my chin - I'm going to have to mark it down for that!" In case anyone is curious, the fudge and the strawberry cream scored highest on average.

It's pretty certain that I'll get the urge to make something in the next week, so I shall be back soon I'm sure. In the meantime, I hope you all have a very happy Christmas :)

Hugs,

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful scene and what a great idea to use the sentiment strip to hide the join. Merry christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call that excellent clearing up with a wonderful result. Sounds like you are having great fun and happy times. Wishing you and yours a Wonderful Christmas Vicky.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful as usual. Merry Christmas to you and your family. My daughter and her husband are arriving soon for brunch and then off to the movies to see "Cats", my favorite roadshow show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds like fun Doris! Have a great time!

      Delete
  4. Super use of your snippets. Love this card.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully CAS Vicky, I love your layout with the top 2/3 of the card with the image :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I always think as long as there's SOME white space I'm good to go!

      Delete
  6. LOVELY card...such a sweet, serene scene...and your sweets game sounded fun! Today I am suffering from overdoing sweets..and turkey dinner and everything that went with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun and games here but I know what you mean about too many sweets! Hope you feel better very soon.

      Delete
  7. What a clever way to use up some snippets, Vicky! Such control with your smooshed background to have it form a winter lake scene! Hope you had a lovely Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that 'control' was more a lucky accident Bonnie ;)
      Thank you, and you too!

      Delete
  8. This is a lovely card Vicky. That back ground looks fabulous with the black tree andd birds in flight. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs A! It's always fun to get a bit inky! Vicky x

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous card Vicky - it looks so ethereal - and as if you'd painted the whole scene. Love it!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! These inky backgrounds are so fun - you never know how they're going to turn out - or what they might remind you of!
      xx

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful and very atmospheric scene Vicky, and wishing you a very Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Wishing you a happy new year too x

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)