Pages

Thursday 30 January 2020

Birthday Butterflies

Hello crafting friends!

It might be the middle of winter here in the heart of England, but nature is all confused about this mild weather and there are flowers out that shouldn't be, and the birds are trying to nest. I thought I might as well join in and get the butterflies out! Come and see:


These beautiful butterflies are NBUS (Never Before Used Stamps - thanks for the acronym Darnell!) from Uniko's English Country Garden Butterflies.


I stamped them onto snippets of card stock, coloured them with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers and fussy cut them.


To make the background, I raided the recycling cupboard for a discarded glossy magazine and wiped the edge with distress inks in Antique Linen and Victorian Velvet. A quick spritz with water sent the inks merging and I wiped the edge of a card panel along it to make an inky border. When it was dry, I inked up the branch from Concorde and 9th's Beautiful Branches with the Antique Linen ink and stamped it several times along the border.


The card was finished with a sentiment from Simply Said by Clearly Besotted - and I hope YOU have an absolutely fabulous day, whether it's your birthday or not!

CHALLENGES
The fascinating inspiration photo at Just Us Girls got me going with this card, and I'm also linking up with The Allsorts Challenge where the theme is Take Flight - projects featuring something that can fly.


AND IN OTHER NEWS
I've enjoyed using my NBUS stamps today. Do you have any stamps or other crafty stash that you bought last year (or any previous years!) and haven't touched yet? Do let me know - I'm always fascinated by other crafters' experiences!

Hugs,

12 comments:

  1. Really lovely card Vicky, love the idea of the magazine paper and inks. Love the vibrant butterflies.
    Ype! Our garden is in silly season too, just noticed the fuschias are budding and we have to cut them down in March!
    As for stamps and other things NBUS, I have masses :)
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glossy magazine was just something cheap water resistant!
      I think we all have NBUS stuff - and the thing is it means we always have something new and exciting to use! x

      Delete
  2. You mention exactly what hubby and I were saying the other day, the birds are totally confused and we have Viburnums on flower which normally blooms in April. And the daffodils are just showing colour, I can't help but wonder if we are in for a sudden winter snap.

    Your Butterfly card is glorious and such a lovely colour palette, many thanks for sharing and joining in our 'Take Flight' theme at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy isn't it?! And if we do have a sudden very cold spell, everything will die off which will be awful.

      Thanks for the lovely inspiration at Allsorts! x

      Delete
  3. Simply LOVE this pretty butterfly card and your inky edge!

    Er, YES, I have quite a few NBUS stamps from more than a year ago! But I LOVE them and will use them at some point. I have today inked a Uniko stamp for the first time and added it to a card. Wahooo!

    Many Hug, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because we see stamps and think that they'll come in handy - and they DO come in handy but often some time later in the future. I used to have a stamp set with arrows in and I was looking for it today... there we are!
      Hug xxx

      Delete
  4. Soooooo pretty Vicky! Love that you embraced the crazy weather and joined us in a bit of Spring! Those butterflies are amazing! So happy to see this beauty in our gallery at Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it'll be an early spring this year!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so beautiful, Vicky. I've just noticed a patch of daisies are in flower on the lawn, so yep, even they are confused! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've been seeing daisies for a while now - weird! xx

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)