Pages

Friday 31 January 2020

A Man Valentine

Hello crafting friends!

The people in my life who love a pink and white lacy valentine can be counted on zero fingers! So here's an idea for those who prefer a 'less is more' approach:


I found this Knit Pattern embossing folder on sale in Hobbycraft earlier this week and tried it out on a snippet of grey card stock. A couple of days later, I had the idea of colouring the raised areas with a white watercolour crayon and suddenly it was worth using on a card!


I die cut a small Sizzix heart in it and glued a snippet of red card stock to the back. As an extra detail, I used one of my Heffy Doodle stitched rectangle dies to cut into the panel, then replaced it, to create the effect of an embossed frame.


To finish the card, I stamped a sentiment from Clearly Besotted's Spring Daffodils onto a tiny strip of card stock (a stamping platform is essential for this!) and cut the end into a flag. Of course, if I'd HAD a sentiment that said 'Cose up with me you gorgeous old thing' I would have used it!


CHALLENGES
I was very much inspired by the photo as well as the colours in the current Colour Throwdown challenge so I'll be joining in there; I shall also link up with the Time Out Challenge where the theme is Affectionate; and last, but not least, this card was made with snippets except the card base, so I shall be scampering along to play in the Snippets Playground.


AND IN OTHER NEWS
This card reminds me a bit of a Jammy Dodger - you know, those biscuits that used to make an appearance at children's birthday parties. They always looked fun but, to me, they tasted like someone had glued some sawdust together with some added chemical flavouring!
Do you remember them?

Whatever you're up to this weekend, have a happy one!

19 comments:

  1. This is an AWESOME masculine valentine...and I think I might have to try that crayon technique myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun isn't it?! I'm running all the colours of card stock though my head and wondering what crayon would work best with them...! The life of crafters!

      Delete
  2. oh I loved Jammy Dodgers!! As I do your card! That EF was a find and what a fab idea to give it this more textured look with the paint. And the red heart really does pop with this grey Vicky. One beautiful CAS card and thanks for joining Time Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DID you?!!! Presumably they didn't taste like chemical sawdust to you then!
      Thank you for your kind words about my card :)

      Delete
  3. CASilicious, Vicky ... cool and graphic ... wonderfully texture-y ... and with the perfect pop of red in the heart! Fabulous! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the journey your card took to get to its final destination! Lovely card! Thanks for joining us at Time Out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now don’t be offended Vicky (I feel I need to put that out there first even though I know you are made of stern stuff!!) but the minute I saw your card, it made me think tyres rather than knitting - Says more about me I think! Either way the design works though and I still think it’s a fab man card, and am also thinking I should try that technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, no offence taken! I know what you mean about not looking like knitting - in fact I'm seeing leaves! A psycho-analyst would have a field day with us!!!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. NO!!!!
      Although I do think a home-made version could be acceptable...!

      Delete
  7. Great card Vicky - a perfect Valentine, presumably for your perfect chap :) Love the touched like reinserting the rectangle and also how you coloured the embossed panel. To do a negative similar colouring, use a brayer to roll ink over the flatter side of the embossing folder where the pattern is 'grooved in' and then emboss. The ink will then transfer to the card with the card colour being the untouched raised pattern. Hope that makes sense?! Not a lot of what I say makes much sense these days. I'm questioning it myself now! Meeep.

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Di, it's ok, I'm familiar with the inking embossing folders technique but was drawn to the colouring because it was so much less messy! And I call myself a crafter!

      Delete
  8. Your card is just perfect, love the background,the single heart and the knitted background, making it "warm love".
    I have had a similar thought for a card to be posted in a few days. Just missed the challenge grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, bad luck Faith. Honestly, if I had a hot dinner for every time I'd missed a challenge I'd be twice the size! x

      Delete
  9. What a great design! I like the texture and the little pop of red! Thanks for sharing with us at Time Out Challenges!
    - Shauna

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)