Pages

Sunday 25 April 2021

A box full of spring

Hello, crafting friends!

A lovely crafty friend of mine was celebrating her birthday this weekend and I wanted to make her something a little bit special. This is what I came up with:


I've been admiring the MFT Outside The Box dies (wistfully, from afar!) The cards they make don't have the extra flaps of the traditional box card and I like the simplicity of that. This is a square version I made manually (just until I can convince my bank manager that the dies are essential!)


I cut and scored the box and inserts (and I've put the measurements at the bottom of the post in case you fancy having a go.) All the outside panels of the box were stamped except the tallest panel which was left blank for a message - but the INSIDE of that panel was stamped. I used a neutral ink and a variety of flowers from Clearly Besotted which were then watercoloured in pastel shades.


For the background, I washed in a sky and suggested grass with brush strokes. The grass treatment was also given to the inside of the box and to the inserts, front and back. When everything was dry, I assembled the box with strong double-sided tape, spacing out the inserts evenly.


I stamped, coloured and cut out more of the flowers and glued them to the inserts. I thought a bird might enjoy nestling in there so I added the branch and one of the birds from Stampin' Up's Birds and Branches.


Hmm, bit tricky to post, you may be thinking... but no,  it cunningly folds flat!

Here are the measurements:
For the inserts:
Cut 4 pieces of card stock 1" high x 3" wide (2.5cm x 8.5cm)
Score at 1/4" and 2 3/4" (1cm x 7.5cm)

For the box:
Cut a piece of card stock 4" high x 10 1/4" wide (10cm x 26cm) 
Score and crease at 2 1/2", 5", 7 1/2" and 10" (6.5cm, 13cm, 19.5cm and 26cm)
Turn the card stock 90 degrees and score down the length of the card stock at 2" (5cm)
Cut away the shaded areas as below.


CHALLENGES
I'm linking this card up with Just Add Ink where they theme is Just Add 3D; I'm also squeaking in at the last minute at The Flower Challenge where the theme is Pretty Pastels; We Love Chocolate Baroque has a Springtime theme so I'm joining in there;  Addicted To Stamps and More has a theme of Birthdays so I'm playing along there; and I'm also linking up with Happy Little Stampers Watercolour challenge.


AND IN OTHER NEWS
The sun continues to shine here and I've done some extra long walks with Madame La Floof. I've also indulged myself in another great pleasure - curling up with a good book in an armchair in the garden, surrounded by spring flowers and nesting birds. It's been like a little holiday :)

Sending hugs,

22 comments:

  1. A fabulous burst of Spring colours and blooms Vicky. Apols might have missed a post or two, attentions diverted at moment, all will be revealed shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW absolutely stunning, Vicky. I love your box of flowers, fantastic art.

    Hugs
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this Vicky!
    Have never attempted one of these but would like to - might have to get the dies though! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cancel the last! Have just seen the price - can you ask your bank manager if he will speak to mine???? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again Vicky, just see you've linked up to We Love Chocolate Baroque, your creation is absolutely perfect for our Springtime theme, thank you.

    Following on from what I said in my earlier comment, it has four legs!!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! This is so beautiful and is so perfect for this weather in Spring, gorgeous work Vicky. Don't buy a die go for the Cameo and you can make any size of any fold, ahem, never mind about the price.:)
    I'm doing the same as you out in the garden with a book, so perfect isn't it?
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Vicky - this is adorable and so very pretty. i checked the price of the die set and that's a lot of money for what you get. Your card is beautiful totally without needing the die set.

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun pop up box design Vicky.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous combination of stamped Spring flowers in gorgeous colours Vicky,love the layout

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s absolutely Springtastic - I adore this beautifully shaped card full of Spring flowers and the little Blue Tit.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous floral very special birthday box card, Vicky. Your friend is going to treasure her beautiful card:-) How sweet of you to share all your descriptive steps and extra photos too. Love that you were able to curl up with a good book in the garden too. Made my day reading your post. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful Vicky! I love all the gorgeous spring colours and the springtime blooms. Thanks for playing along this week at Just Add Ink. Rochelle xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful spring make, so uplifting, you friend loved it I'm sure. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm with the Bank Manger! I don't think you need to get the dies, in fact based on this I might give it a go myself! Thanks for sharing with us at We Love Chocolate Baroque challenge. L x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, how wonderful! Love your spring art!

    Hugs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning card, Vicky! I've been reading in the evenings recently too, but curled up inside xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!!! What an a awesome card. Thanks for joining us at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that is indeed a very special creation Vicky! Don’t do it......much more fun to make yourself. Those dies imho are limited in size, shape and use xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vicky this is a work of art. These gorgeous spring colours bring so much life to this wonderful card. I'm so glad to hear the sun is shining & you're taking some time out with a good book. So good to see you joining us at Just Add Ink regularly, thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous card Vicky! I love the colours and vibrancy! Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink! Kelly x PS, good luck with the bank manager - but surely craft expenses are in the essential category???

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous 3D card Vicky! Love the decoration, all those natural spring flowers - perfect for a special friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic card, I love these pop open box cards and the flowers and your loose colouring just perfect. Well done Vicky I love it. Thank you so much for joining us at The Flower Challenge and we hope to see you there again soon. Aileen DesignTeam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry for being so late with this comment.
    This box of flowers is just stunning, thank you for sharing with us at THE FLOWER CHALLENGE.
    Stay healthy and safe.
    XO

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)