Pages

Sunday 16 July 2023

A snippety nativity

Hello, crafting friends!
 
With all the focus on my daughter's wedding this year, normal crafting patterns have gone out of the window, but I realise that my task from now on is to enlarge my festive card stash!
 

This card was made using the plain side of Funky Fossil's Arched Window stencil, masked at the bottom to shorten it - and at the sides to prevent ink from smudging onto the card base (why do I always imagine I can skip that step?!) I also made a star mask with a sticky note and a star stamp and positioned it before blending brown, yellow and blue inks into the stencil.
 

The sentiment is from The Best Gift of All by Reverse Confetti and was stamped in crisp black ink in the centre of the ink blend. I had planned to leave the star uncoloured when I removed its mask but it didn't look right so I coloured it with a coloured pencil and embellished it with a clear gem.
 

And now for the fun bit: the idea for this card came when I was making another card using The Greetery's Slim Alphabet dies. while clearing the left overs away, I noticed that the inside of an 'O' and a 'K' turned onto its side looked a bit like a manger. I coloured them and trimmed the 'K' slightly and I think it works quite well - what do you think?

CHALLENGES
I'm linking this card up at Addicted to Stamps and More where the theme is Die Cuts and/or Stencils, and I've used both; Little Red Wagon where we are to choose to make a Christmas or a New Year project; Happy Little Stampers Christmas challenge, where the optional theme is twinkle; and The Snippets Playground, where I hope my alphabet offcuts will be enough to count as snippets!


AND IN OTHER NEWS
The wedding was a bohemian affair with wild flowers in jam jars, hay bales to sit on and dogs mingling with the guests, but there was a very fancy photographer there - which is just as well because I was too busy to take any photos! But here is a snap I took of my beautiful daughter before the wedding, with her hair and make up freshly done, in her wedding gown, casually sitting on the door step stroking Eva!!!
 

No harm done thank goodness, but this is typical - she is not one for wearing clothes that need to be worn with care and it didn't take long for those elegant ballet slippers to be kicked off either I can tell you! (She is rather like her fluffy sister in that respect!) I'll be posting more wedding-related stuff this week so do come back and share it with me :)

Sending hugs,


13 comments:

  1. A beautiful nativity sentiment and crib,a really clever idea.
    Your daughter looks stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that’s what I call thinking outside the box for the manger construction. Lovely Christmas card.

    Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. I’ll make you a relaxing hot toddy up in the treehouse.

    Lovely picture of the two most important girls in your life. A lovely natural shot xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, and the card looks fab! Lovely relaxed picture, and glad she didn’t spoil the dress! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting that your daughter got married! Congratulations! And I LOVE your Christmas card...perfectly executed and what a fun way to create that little manger! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for entering our Christmas or New Year Challenge @Little Red Wagon with this great card. I like the sponged background.

    Imke "My CRAFTY PLACE

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever to do the manger, Vicky! Isn't it amazing how sometimes pieces land on the table in just the right way? Your daughter is beautiful and looks so much like her beautiful mother! I can't wait to see more pictures of the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a clever and beautiful nativity scene, Vicky:-) LOVE your wonderful photo of your beautiful daughter and Eva enjoying a quiet time before her ....Perfect wedding planned with your daughters nature loving personality and I imagine the grooms too:-) My kind of celebration....TFS and can't wait to see more photos of their wedding. Love and Hugs, dear friend....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely card Vicky - and so clever how you did the manger as well. Gorgeous photo of your daughter and Eva - what a pretty girl she is to be sure. And her hair - glorious! Of course, Eva isn't far behind. Look forward to seeing the wedding photos.

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous card, love the traditional theme. As for your daughter, she looks so happy and stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a creative soul you are, Vicky! That manger is spot on and is a beautiful centrepiece for your lovely scene which is beautifully created. The wedding picture is wonderful and I bet she will like those off the cuff pictures more than the official ones ! Thanks for sharing with us at Addicted to Stamps and More.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The improvised manger is perfect... as is your photo of the beautiful bride! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your daughter looks absolutely beautiful and that is such a lovely natural photo. The wedding sounds blissful like something from a film. Your cards not bad either !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the simplicity of your card. Wonderfully stenciled backdrop for your sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers Christmas Challenge. Barb Housner

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)