Pages

Monday 28 August 2023

Natural merriness

Hello, crafting friends!
 
In the first half of this year, I was so busy that I didn't have much time to craft. And even when I did find a minute, it was a stamp and go type of crafting. What I really love is starting a card, changing my mind, having a lightbulb moment, dragging half my stash out to find the right thing... only to have another idea and swerve off on another tack! Do you know what I mean? That's how this card was made!
 

I had a vague idea of making a Christmas card and I knew I wanted to use some left over botanical die cuts on it, perhaps as a wreath, but the card base started as white until I came over all rustic and brought out the brown card stock, which made me think I might stencil a brick wall using brown ink for a tone on tone look but then suddenly remembered white ink... well, you get the picture!
 

I liked the frosty look of the white ink on the brown card and added extra 'snow' with a white paint pen. Then, inspired by the natural vibe of the card, I rooted about in my DSP drawer for a precious snippet of wood effect paper to make a beam to hang my snippety wreath on with a twine bow. The wreath die from SU had been cut out of green card which I swiped with white ink, and the botanical die cuts from Mama Elephant were white so I coloured those with ink and a sponge dauber, and then glued everything together.


The sentiments are from The Greetery's Snowflake Soirée, the 'be merry' part stamped on the card base and the 'may all your days' part stamped on kraft card, snipped out and popped up on dimensional pads. 

CHALLENGES
I used lots of left over botanical die cuts on this card, a snippet of wood effect paper, an offcut of brown card for the card base and a white offcut to line it with, plus a tiny piece of kraft for the sentiment and some left over twine. All that is to say that I'm playing at the Snippets Playground with this card; I'm also joining in at Jingle Belles where Lauren and Stef want to see cards with a vintage vibe (and I'm hoping my card will pass the Vintage Test!); I'm joining in at Color My Heart Color Dare #563, choosing the left hand diagonal Candy Apple/Toffee/Green Apple; I'm also just in time to join in with Rudolph Days where we make a card to celebrate the 25th of each month, then share by the end of the month.

AND IN OTHER NEWS
Autumn seems to be drawing in a bit early this year. It's still lovely and warm but not boiling hot, and it's quite unsettled. It's actually much nicer for the dogs...
 

... and they get to intersperse their swimming activities with rabbit hunting which is much too hot for Eva with her thick coat in the full sun!
 
PS I must once again state that no rabbit is ever in the smallest danger of being caught by either of these two goofballs!!


Sending hugs,

17 comments:

  1. Autumnal feel here today,looking forward to seeing the leaves changing colour.Love your Christmas wreath Vicky,the red and green look fabulous against the background

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very unusual but extremely pretty Christmas card - nice work! Thanks for sharing with us at Colour Dare :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Christmas card you’ve made with lots of snippets Vicky. Love the frosty rime made with your white ink pad.

    Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you up in the treehouse later. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this Vicky! The gorgeous muted frosty vibe is perfect for a Christmassy look, and I love the ink splatters and little die cut details too, fab! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning card Vicky! So elegant and so YOU! I actually welcome the drop in temperature and Autumn is my favourite season of all. Keeping warm and cosy, even using layers, is easier than cooling off in red hot heat - IMHO of course. Dudley will chase cats from the garden - but if they stopped and glared at him he would no doubt smile in a shy way and lie down to make friends.!

    Hugs
    Di xx

    Hugs

    Di xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do know what you mean, Vicky! So many things can be brought out for the simplest of cards! Your brick wall is so realistic and a perfect place to rest your pretty wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep! I know, I'll do this, oh! No I'll get that out etc etc. Yep! I love how you put this together, so many lovely details, Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just described nearly all my card making journeys - well the good ones at any rate!! I just love where you went with this one, that brick wall is the perfect backdrop for your lovely wreath!! I must remember to try stenciling a brick wall with white on brown -such a lovely depth but totally stamp-able! Hugs, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love white brick. This is so pretty. I love how you did the sentiment in two parts. Lovely card! Thank you for sharing at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo absolutely fabulous & such a great design too, thanks for joining us at Rudolph Days August Challenge, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that feeling of swerving, I do it with most of my cards. But thank goodness for this, your change of idea and digging through your stash for the perfect pieces... great job. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with us at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the stenciled brick ... such a lovely card ... so glad you joined our Spirit of Christmas Past at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SOOO pretty! I love the background. I can almost see the snow falling. Thanks for sharing at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy moly, this is REALLY beautiful and I definitely (somewhat sheepishly) relate to your process, but of course it's hard to argue with the results! So happy you could join our Old-Fashioned Christmas fun at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This evolved into such a fabulous festive card Vicky - so much detail to ponder and enjoy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the brick background paired with the Christmas theme. Thank you for joining us at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)