Pages

Saturday 23 September 2023

The Masked Poinsettia

Hello, crafting friends!
 
It's an Addicted to CAS kind of Saturday today and I invite you to come and contemplate the new Code Word at the challenge, dreamed up this time by Sue:
 

One of my favourite techniques is masking so I didn't hesitate! I brought out a Christmas set by Reverse Confetti* which has yet to come out of its packaging :)
 

I started by stamping the poinsettia from the set onto a nice thick card base using dark red ink. To make a mask, I stamped it again onto a sticky note, fussy cut it and stuck it over the original. Next, I stamped the leaves and berries in green ink and removed the mask. I loved the graphic look of the uncoloured leaves and the poinsettia, so I just coloured the berries using a light red water-based marker to avoid any bleed through the card front, and the centre of the poinsettia with a yellow marker.
 

The sentiment was a mix of 'with love at' from The Greetery's PreText Sentiments and 'Christmas' from Endless Wishes, an old Stampin' Up set. The card was finished with some 'shine' on the berries using a white acrylic paint pen.

Okay, now it's your turn to interpret the Code Word! Do hop over to the Addicted to CAS challenge site to check out the inspiring cards my team mates have made. You'll find the Linky Tool at the bottom of the post and you can use it to link your own creation up with us. Have fun!

CHALLENGES
I'm linking this card up at Little Red Wagon where the challenge is No Snow Christmas; also Addicted to Stamps and More where the Any Occasion challenge has come round again; I'm also playing at Darnell's NBUS Challenge where we share our Never Before Used Schtuff. 
 

*Attention all you UK bargain hunters: You can find Reverse Confetti stamp sets and dies at Seven Hills Crafts at half price, and there's an amazing Sale section and Bargain Basement there too! You're welcome!

AND IN OTHER NEWS
The title of this post made me giggle as I thought of a mysterious poinsettia tiptoeing about in the dark! And that reminded me of a night long, long ago when I lived in London and shared a house with my sister. We were both woken in the small hours by a loud crash. There was a long pause and then my sister and I converged on the landing, white-faced in our dressing gowns. We tiptoed silently down the stairs clutching each other. Nothing. We made our way towards the glass door leading into the kitchen - and that's when we saw a movement inside the room! We both screamed loudly, wrenched the front door open, and were halfway up the street when it dawned on us that the movement we'd seen was our own reflexion in the glass door. On returning to the kitchen, it turned out that we had hung a heavy pan up on a hook that was loose, and it had given way, falling onto the tiles below. We had to have a soothing cup of milky hot chocolate before going back to bed I can tell you!

Sending hugs,

9 comments:

  1. An elegant Christmas card Vicky, always think Poinsettia cards are a delight to receive, love the plants but can never keep them alive.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving the images with minimal colouring was a wonderful idea Vicky,the touches of red and yellow are beautiful,a wonderful CAS card,had a chuckle reading your other news

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun story and beautifully masked poinsettia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the understated simplicity that masks the complexity of your composition Vicky! That’s a very spooky story, but did make me laugh xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab card and nice CAS layout.
    Chuckled at your little story too! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful CAS deign, Vicky and a perfect one layer card. Fabulous masking and I agree that it was a great idea to resist colouring all the flowers. Loved your story about the bang in the night lol! I'm off to the Sevenhills site now so thanks for the tip!
    Hope you are well and thanks for sharing with us at ATSM. I hope you will join us again soon.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic card! Such a pretty poinsettia. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous masking and card Vicky. I may try that? I did laugh at your noise in the night. I would think you'ed have needed more than hot chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)