Pages

Monday 25 September 2023

Saving poinsettias

Hello, crafting friends!
 
While making THIS Christmas card the other day, there was an unfortunate smearage incident (!) and I had to discard the first attempt. With 'waste not, want not' in mind, I saved the poinsettia by fussy cutting it, then stamped another on a non-inky part of the card and fussy cut the centre out of it. I coloured these with red coloured pencils.
 

Taking a deep breath, I stamped another poinsettia off the edge of a new card base (successfully, hurrah!) and coloured that in the same way. I arranged the cut-out blooms overlapping the stamped one, popping up the top one on dimensional pads. 
 

The centres were coloured with a gold metallic paint pen and I added a sentiment made with two retired stamp sets from Stampin' Up. And there we go - simple!

CHALLENGES
This is my homework for the Snippets Playground (anyone for a game of Jacks in the treehouse?); I'm also linking up at Inkspirational where the challenge is Clean and Simple with an optional twist of Inspired by a Movie and I'm going for a slushy little Christmas film called Poinsettias for Christmas; I'm joining in with Jingle Belles' Christmas Story challenge too - remember the folk tale about the little girl who couldn't afford a gift for the baby Jesus so she picked a handful of weeds which turned into beautiful red blooms because she gave them from the heart. I used to read it to my children and we all loved it! I'm also playing at ABC Christmas where T is for Three of a Kind,  and entering at Rudolph Days where we make a Christmas card on the 25th of each month.
 

AND IN OTHER NEWS
We have had such a bumper crop of raspberries this autumn. Every other day, I trot off to the allotment with Madame La Floof in tow and collect up a couple of punnets of the sweetest most delicious raspberries, which we guzzle with cream before I can even think about what else to do with them!
 

Eva is a fan of raspberries too. She sits nicely by the canes and watches me picking the fruit. There is an air of expectancy about her too because she knows than whenever I come across an over-ripe raspberry, I'll throw it to her. She must have missed one the other day because when we were walking home I noticed she had a little pink streak on her bottom where she'd sat on one!

Sending hugs,

15 comments:

  1. Hi Vicky,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    What a very fabulous card made out of a crafting disaster.
    A true crafter knows how to salvage a disater.
    Love the wonderful poinsettias and the design.
    Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great depth of colour on those gorgeous poinsettias Vicky,a beautiful card,the tasks look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well saved. The poinsettias are beautiful, I enjoyed reading about the raspberries too! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card and the raspberries look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh YES - I'll give you a game of Jacks! Haven't played for yonks!

    Your homegrown raspberries look scrumptious.

    Loving your poinsettia card too. Great save!

    Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you in the playground for Jacks and behind the bike shed to share gobstoppers! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous card the Poinsettias look ACE
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great save, Vicky! Such pretty red poinsettias! Lucky you to be able to pick fresh raspberries. They look delicious and I can never get beyond the berries and cream either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful save for this gorgeous card Vicky. Love the poinsettias. As for the Raspberries, yep! I'm a lover of them too, but I'm afraid mine have to be bought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great save Vicky - a fabulous card as a result. I do love the story about poinsettias and Baby Jesus. Great crop of raspberries - I did grin about Eva's pink streak!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely holiday card ... So glad you joined us at Jingle Belles with your *Christmas Story*.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a great save to pop up the new poinsettia. It now takes center stage!
    Love the look of this.

    Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bright red on you lovely poinsettias Vicky - and great save from a smear (it happens to ALL of us!) Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational: CAS and Kudos for a movie inspiration! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and artful CAS card! So pleased you could join our Stories of Christmas fun at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great save, Vicky and proof that there are no mistakes, just happy accidents! I love hor you laid out the poinsettias and the 2 colour sentiment is a perfect finishing touch.
    Your raspberries look delicious and how wonderful to still be cropping in October!
    Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Christmas Challenges.
    Hope you are well,
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)