Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

No stamping butterfly shaped card

I make very few shaped cards as my card-making ethos is to keep it as simple as possible! But when I saw that Chrissie and Mandi at Less is More have challenged LiMettes to make a card any shape except square or rectangle, I remembered a frivolous little number we made at a Stampin' Up training session once. Here's my simplified version of it using Marina Mist and Bashful Blue, the gorgeous tonal colours suggested by this week's Dynamic Duos challenge:


There's no stamping on this little shaped Easel card at all (except the sentiment inside) and it's made using Stampin' Up's Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die. I like the way the bottoms of the wings tuck into the indented bit of wing on the card base to keep the card open. The layered butterfly on the front  is made using dotty designer paper from the Patterns paper stack and is embellished using white bakers twine and self-adhesive pearls.


To make the card base I used a folded piece of card stock and positioned it on the die just under the top points of the wings so I didn't end up with two pieces! I scored and folded the top part (the card front) and glued a single die cut butterfly to it to form the easel.


This is what the card looks like when it's closed...


... and a glimpse at the inside where there's just room for a tiny message. I think these are sweet little thank you cards which would certainly be remembered by the recipient - and wouldn't they make cute little novelties to pop in girls' party favour bags?!

Here's what you'll need to make today's card:
Stamps: Teeny Tiny Wishes
Ink: Marina Mist
Card stock: Marina Mist, Whisper White
Other: Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die, Big shot, Patterns designer paper stack in Subtles, Basic Pearls, white bakers twine
I'd be delighted to order any of these items for you and can have them delivered to your address in the UK. I'm committed to providing excellent customer service and am always happy to offer help and advice. To place your order, just send me an email or give me a call on 01280 820593.

My desk, which is in a real cold spot in our living room, is a fantastic place to be in this weather. The fingerless gloves and hot water bottles of the winter are a thing of the past and I'm cool as a cucumber with the French doors flung wide open. The cat doesn't know what to do with herself though. She wanders in and flings herself down on the rug for a few moments and then hoists herself up and slinks back outside where she is teased mercilessly by aimless flies and chirpy birds. My daughter describes her as 'Tuppence with lashings of tail'!

I can't wait to see all the shapely inspiration this week. See you soon!
Hugs,

41 comments:

  1. What a nifty idea making the shape an easel card. Great card

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nifty idea making the shape an easel card. Great card

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one of these last summer (Baha Breeze), and it is still sitting in my kitchen because I love it so much. I love it with the Bashful Blue and DOTS!
    Well done,
    Cheers
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the construction of this. Simple to do (when you know how!) but stunning. That's an idea stored for future use. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is another absolute stunner Vicky!
    Simple, but perfect!
    I think I need that die!
    Wonderful!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is more"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful Vicky. Might just need to take a look at this die!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a fantastic card Vicky. I love everything 'butterfly' themed and also have his die but would never of thought of using it like this. Good luck with the challenge.

    Have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet but beware these little butterfly cards can be addictive :) Thanks for playing along at Dynamic Duos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The more I see these butterflies, the more I think I need that die! They really are eye-catching.
    Thanks too, for visiting my blog and your lovely comments. Helen (Sydney)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shaped card Vicky...love the colours

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty Vicky, love the colours and the way the wings hold it up :)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing to say > > > WOW xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this is clever, love howit stands and folds flat!
    Gorgeous colours and the white spots adds just that hint of detail :0)
    My craft space is not too bad in this heat, not sure how I'd get on withfrench doors open though......it's too breezy out here even on a hot day :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet! I'm going to have to give this a try! So happy you joined us this week at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your butterflies have made a great easel card - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicky, I love how you've made this card, and the pearls finish the body off perfectly. I love it

    Bev.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. How clever - the mechanism to keep it open is genius. Love the colours too (well I would wouldn't I!)
    My office is a just bearable 78F today.... oh for French doors on office blocks ;-)
    Tara
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea how it makes an easel! Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply gorgeous! I love the addition of the twine antenna! Thanks for playing with us at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your sweet polka dot butterfly card! Thanks for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 'Spotted' this over on Dynamic Duos and had to leave a comment as I just love it! Another triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderfull!
    I love the butterfly.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this is the most beautiful easel card I´ve ever seen!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning Vicky and such a brilliant idea. Love the pearls and bakers twine.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful easel card, and adore the dotty paper. I love this design, as it looks fantastic when it is closed. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a brilliant idea and so eyecatching ! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply sensational as ever Vicky
    Cracking idea

    Thank you very much
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an ingenious idea, I absolutely love it. I'm not really a fan of easel cards but this has totally changed my mind. Thanks so much for the lovely comments this morning. My daughter will be 17 too in just under a month and it terrifies me! x x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Its still raining here in GREECE !!!!!!!! we have put the duvet back on the bed !!!! Gorgeous card looks complicated, gorgeous tonal colours and super spring design.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous butterfly card Vicky..must try one of these too

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just beautiful Vicky, all the layers of your butterfly are fantastic! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the weather. Sitting in hte family room tonight the smell of my Peonies was wafting in the back door--heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love your butterfly card!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just stunning Vicky - I think I have to get that die now!!! Such an elegant card.
    Hugs
    Wynneth
    X

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your butterfly card. I agree it makes super little favour cards or perhaps place settings on a table. x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Adorable butterfly card! Thanks' for joining us at Dynamic Duos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a stunning card Vicky, I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous easel card, Vicky! I just love all of the dimension from the butterfly. Thanks for joining us this week over at Dynamic Duos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is inspired Vicky I love it, how lovely to use a pretty butterfly as the shape too :) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. fantastic design... love it thanks so much for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is so effective, so pretty. Well done on being showcased.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)