Pages

Thursday 27 February 2020

Just keep swimming

Hello crafting pals!

I've been wanting to join in with LeAnne's sketch over at the Paper Players but every time I've had an idea, it's all gone horribly wrong! I finally found a way to make it work - deep in the recesses of my designer paper drawer! Come and see:


I had made a fishy looking panel inspired by the wonderful photo at Just Us Girls this week and had thought I could mount it on some panels of white card stock (but no, it was too messy); an ombré panel then? (no, the colours didn't work and the result was overpowering); how about embossed panels (ugh - take them away!); subtle woodgrain? (Aaaaargh!) Eventually, I found a snippet of paper that I think works okay!


The fishy scene was stamped with Clearly Besotted's Under The Sea and coloured with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. I added bubbles from the set with white craft ink and added two extra fish I'd stamped and coloured separately, fussy cut and popped up on dimensionals.


All the panels were cut out with my stitched rectangle dies from Heffy Doodles. I added a sentiment stamped on an offcut.


Edited to add: Proud to say this card won Chic of the Week at Just Us Girls!

CHALLENGES
Here's LeAnne's sketch at The Paper Players - can you see the three panel background element that caused me so much trouble?! And here's the gorgeous coral reef photo at Just Us Girls that triggered my fishy scene!


AND IN OTHER NEWS
As well as that challenge photo, the fishy panel was inspired by a silk midi skirt belonging to my daughter - an amazing find in a thrift shop. The skirt is very bright and summery and I always used to ham it up and pretend to be blinded by it whenever my daughter wore it! This card will be sent to her at some stage and I know it will make her chuckle :)

Hope you're having a good week! What have you been up to?

Hugs,

19 comments:

  1. Awww...I think your 'fishy' scene is adorable! The yellow background works wonderfully in setting off the blue of your ocean! So sweet! Thrilled to see you in the Just Us Girls gallery!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! Lovely to pop over and visit you and see how many hats you get to wear!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, this works so well with that JUGS challenge---so cute! My creative process has been similar lately...nothing is working out the way I want it to! Some days I give up and just take a nap! Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with this one! Lovely the bright colors and your little fishies! Thanks for sharing this and playing with my sketch this week at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you LeAnne, taking a nap sounds like a great plan - wake me up when it's spring!!! Your sketch was gorgeous - the problem was my mojo I think!

      Delete
  3. Really sweet card - and loved reading the creative journey that resulted in its creation! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Players this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. This was supposed to be a quick little card!

      Delete
  4. This is adorable, Vicky! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a really brilliant creation, super images and a great design with a lovely background.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning undersea scene. I love so much those bright colors and the fun dimension you created with the fishes. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Just Us girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need some brightness around here - we've descended into the depths of winter again :(

      Delete
  7. I feel for you, I have plenty of days where creating seems to take FOREVER! However, you prevailed and it is a fabulous choice for the background and of course your fishy scene is a real beauty. Always so glad to see your cards in the gallery at The Paper Players, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your percy-verence paid off. Well done. I have put my sunnies on to read the post though! LOL! Best fishes,
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an angel (fish) to say so! Have a great weekend and let's hope the sunglasses bring us some sunshine!
      xxx

      Delete
  9. DSP?? You?! I didn't think I would see the day lol! I love this bright and colourful card Vicky and I think the DSP for the frame works so well with the deep blue sea and those fab colourful fishies! A watery masterpiece for sure! Thanks for playing along over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I do use it sometimes Joanne! In fact I have a whole drawerful of the stuff to prove it!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous card Vicky, love the super colours and little fishy scene xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. It certainly brightened up my grey day! xx

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)