Pages

Sunday 23 February 2020

Picking apples

Hello crafting pals!

I've been mulling over the Twofer Challenge for *checks calendar* a whole month now and nothing appeared in my mind, so the conscious side of my brain will just have to take over! Come and see what I've been up to:

CARD ONE


I've used a set by Clearly Besotted called Apples and Pears which feature... yes, you've guessed it, the eponymous fruit! I chose the apples for this teacher celebration card, stamping it directly onto a snippet of lined designer paper (from a favourite retired Stampin' Up pack called Storytime, which I'm using very, very slowly!)


I blended a little Tumbled Glass distress ink onto the paper to suggest a sky and coloured the apples with alcohol markers.


The apples piece was mounted at an angle onto another offcut of the Storytime papers, trimmed to size, and I tucked a tiny striped snippet under one side.


The teacher-praising sentiment is from Simply Said by Clearly Besotted and I used my stamping platform to stamp it several times to get a really strong black. Before attaching everything to the card base, I added a couple of staples as an embellishment.

CARD TWO
The second card is quite different!


I decided to make a toffee apple by stamping the apples and trimming out just one, colouring it and adding a card stock 'stick'. I was going to add glossy accents to give it the proper toffee-ish shine but my heart wasn't really in it. Earlier, I had opened some new stamps and the thin plastic wrapper was still on the table and suddenly an idea happened!


I wrapped the apple in the plastic film, securing it at the back with sticky dots and then, with breath held in case it all fell apart, tied a piece of twine tightly around it to create a WRAPPED toffee apple!! Cunning huh?


I cut a couple of panels with my stitched rectangle dies from Heffy Doodles and used my stamping platform to stamp this sentiment from the Apples and Pears set on the smaller one. The panels were layered together on a card base and the toffee apple attached with glue dots.

Here are my cards hanging out together:


CHALLENGES
I'm linking both cards up with the Twofer Challenge where the theme is Fruit and the requirement is two cards of DIFFERENT designs, for DIFFERENT occasions, using the SAME stamp, stencil or die; Card one was made with lots of snippets of designer paper (the card base is the only thing that isn't a snippet) so I'll enter it into the Snippet Playground :)


AND IN OTHER NEWS
Technology is an extraordinary thing isn't it, and enables us to do all sorts of things we wouldn't normally be able to do. I appreciate it most though for making me laugh. Autocorrect has me laughing on numerous occasions - for example, the time I was texting my impatiently waiting daughter that I was just popping into one more shop and then I'd be with her. 'I'll just be a mo,' I texted, and then spent the next five minutes doubled up in hysterics as autocorrect decided I meant 'I'll just be a month'! What has made me laugh today was my own typing error. I started this post with what I assumed was 'Hello crafting pals!' but which, when I read it back, turned out to be 'Hello rafting pals!' I'm currently imagining you all coping amazingly with the white water rapids!

Do you have any Autocorrect or typo stories? Do share!

Hugs,


20 comments:

  1. What a fabulous apple Twofer and your toffee apple wrapper is brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea - Fruit was harder than I thought! xx

      Delete
  2. Two brilliant CAS cards, super fun images and great layouts.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two brilliant cards using the apples . . . And great idea to use your stamp packaging to wrap the toffee apple. Genius!
    Hug x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am practically a womble!!!
      Sending hyggy hug (the wind and rain warrants it!)
      xxx

      Delete
  4. How clever of you to create the wrapped apple on the second card, the images look so different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andre! It was a much better idea than trying to unblock the Glossy Accents!!!

      Delete
  5. Your toffee apple all wrapped up for sale is going to be one of those cards that's hard to give away, Vicky, because it's just so fabulous you can't believe it yourself! Or am I the only one who feels this way about a few of my makes? I'm so happy for you that your apple and stick didn't give way when you went to add the necessary twine bow! Phewwwwww! The tri-colored sediment and layered panels finish it off perfectly! And your second design is also perfectly thought out to be just right for a teacher thank you with the beautifully colored apples, the lined school paper, grid background, and staple bling!! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #24! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no, I don't really have that - although I'll find it hard to give this away because no-one understands toffee apples in our family! Thanks for challenging my brains with your challenge!

      Delete
  6. I'm so happy to see and read your post! For me it would be hard to give away such an amazing card as your wrapped toffee apple. I'm feeling the same as Darnell. :-) Your apple twofer is great. The design of teacher's card is amazing and toffee apple is outstanding.
    Hugs, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT is so creative and wonderful, both are fabulous cards, but the toffee apple has to take the biscuit, so to speak LOL. FABULOUS cards Vicky.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll stick with the biscuit Faith - even the idea of a toffee apple hurts my teeth! x

      Delete
  8. I've been "rafting" before, but will admit it was more of a lazy river than anything resembling whitewater, lol! You've created two fruity-fun cards, Vicky. Your coloring on your teacher thank you card is amazing, and I love that you've used that carefully saved lined paper. I have a small (ahem) stash of papers, too! And that caramel apple...what an incredible idea! Such a delightful card, and I'm so happy that it turned out so fantastically. Great cards, and thank you so much for joining us at The Twofer Challenge. Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bev! That lined paper is nearly gone and has been SO useful! I think we all have a little (!) hoard of papers :)

      Delete
  9. What great cards these are Vicky - you always have a great mind for thinking outside the box. Wrapping the toffee apple in cellophane is genius! And of course I do love your snippets card.

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di. I don't use patterned paper all that much so it was fun to have a rummage in the drawer! xx

      Delete
  10. Both of these cards are fab - I think on balance the first one is my favourite, those apples are so realistic! Confession time - I have a ton of that Storytime paper too that I stocked up on when it discontinued, largely as a result of your creations with it first time around! It is so perfect for teacher cards though - and I'm a sucker for designer paper ... although you won't catch me on a raft anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this paper - and now I know who to go to when I've run out!!! I'm with you on the rafting :/

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)