Pages

Saturday 20 April 2024

An Oxide Experiment

Hello, crafting friends!
 
I had some time to play today so I brought out my new distress oxide inks, a present from my youngest son. He is not only very good at getting me to waffle on about my latest craft enthusiasms, but is also a total nerd who became very excited himself when told about the reactive nature of these hybrid inks!
 

I know I'm late to the distress oxide party but I was particularly excited about the opacity of the ink. It means light colours show up on darker card, and this card was an experiment to see what would happen if I used the inks with a stencil. I chose a dark yellow card for my background panel and blended Spun Sugar and Picked Raspberry inks into Uniko's Gerbera stencil. I added Squeezed Lemonade to the seeds in the flower centre and also sponged a little round the edges of the panel.
 

After that, I masked the flower and added some stamped lines (but wish I had used a tone on tone dark yellow instead of the black!) The sentiment from Clearly Besotted's Simply Said fits nicely in the lines though :) Before mounting the panel on a card base, I sponged Spun Sugar ink round the edges of the card front. The card was embellished with some delicate iridescent sequins from SU.
 
CHALLENGES
I used Hannelie's Yellow and Pink palette at Color Hues so I'm linking up there; also at the Stencil Fun Challenge where there's an optional theme of Spring/Flowers; The Sisterhood of Crafters' latest challenge is Showers or Flowers which amused me :D

 
AND IN OTHER NEWS
Drier weather has come at last and I am giddy with it! The golden girls and I are able to do longer walks and there's no need for any spa baths or even foot baths. What more could we ask for?
 

Perhaps, says Lulu, we could get a real puppy...? Don't tempt me Lulu, don't tempt me!!!

Sending hugs,

15 comments:

  1. I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun with your new Distress Oxide inks. You’ve stencilled the gerbera so nicely on the yellow background.

    So pleased you’ve enjoyed walking the Golden Girls in some dry weather for a change.

    Have a nice weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful card, and I was fascinated by the process you used to create that gorgeous floral! The stamps lines are a great addition to your wonderful design. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The distress oxide colours are beautiful Vicky,I actually like the contrast the black stamping gives on this fabulous card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful stenciled floral card! I had a chuckle at not having to clean feet or give a spa bath. When we had our golden Nick we were headed out on vacation to a cabin about 9 hours away and just before we left (we live on a creek), Nick went splashing into the muddy creek, I had to bath her before we could leave, another time we returned from same trip after a nine hour drive she jumped out of the card and straight into the arms of a skunk, my husband's office smelled like a skunk for 2 weeks, but you gotta' love em' right? LOL
    Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
    Diane SF Co-Owner
    {Nellies Nest}
    {Stencil Fun}

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Vic ... this is so, so pretty! LOVE your design! Great job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our STENCIL FUN & Sisterhood of Crafters challenges! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth,Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't got a clue about the inks etc Vicky all I know is that this creation is so beautiful that big flower against the yellow background looks amazing I love it
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous card Vicky, I love how you used the colours, I even like the black lines and sentiment. Just gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for you Vicky! Oxides are a lot of fun as you've used them on dark paper plus they blend together so well. I love how you colored the big Gerber daisy, it really came out beautifully in pink against the dark yellow and I agree with other commenters, I rather like the contrast of the black lines and sentiment. Thanks so much for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too re the black lines and I love that flower stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see that you are going to enjoy playing with the Distress Oxide inks, Vicky! How sweet that your son bought them for you. Maybe he'll be experimenting with them too! Your card is gorgeous with the rich yellow and soft pink!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oxides are very nice, I have them all and also all the Ranger Archivals and the Versafine Clairs (waiting to decide on the newly released ones which are more pastel). Now Dylusions has come out with her shades of Archival and I might bite on those because of permanence. I use the VFClairs mostly but hate the red. Why is it nobody has recent reds?
    Fabulous card and I like the black on it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Distress Oxides on yellow cardstock. I'm really amazed at the opacity. I have to try it too!!!
    And Kamo says to Lulu: Puppies are great. Don't stop seducing your mistress. Gundi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bold flower is amazing! What a great eyecatcher.
    Lia DT TSOC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your son sounds just like mine. Love your Gerbera Daisy and great masking to add some extra interest. Thanks for choosing to play along with us at Color Hues in your spare time. Much apprecciated.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)