Pages

Saturday 16 April 2022

The one layer birthday

Hello, crafting friends!
 
Welcome to another fun challenge at Addicted to CAS where Barb is your hostess with the mostest for the next couple of weeks! As you know, we love clean and simple cards at this challenge but Barb is adding an extra twist:
 

Yes, your cards need to have only one layer this time - so the challenge is to refrain from adding die cuts and embellishments! Can you do it?!
 
I make quite a lot of one layer cards and my favourite techniques to add depth and dimension are masking and ink blending.


For this card I started by masking off the left and the bottom of a nice thick card base with low-tack tape. Next, I stamped the basket from Stampin' Up's Season's Blessings stamp set and covered it with a mask made with a sticky note. Then I blended a little soft blue ink outwards and upwards, adding a little pale brown ink at the bottom. The leaves were stamped next so that when the tape and basket mask were peeled away, the plant appeared to be growing in the basket and there were nice crisp edges.

 
There are flowers in the stamp set I was using but even the smallest were bigger than I wanted, so I found some smaller ones in another set. I stamped them in a coral colour and doodled flower centres and extra stems with a green marker. The card was finished with a sentiment from Floral Vines by Uniko.

So now it's your turn! Do hop over to the Addicted to CAS blog to check out the fantastic samples the team has made to inspire you. You'll find the Linky Tool at the bottom of the post and you can use it to share your own creation with us. Remember to keep your card nice and clean and simple, with plenty of white space, not forgetting the one layer element! Have fun!

CHALLENGES
I’m linking this card up at Seize the Birthday where Lindsey has chosen the theme of Signs of Spring. It's wonderful watching the garden burst into life at this time of year but I love it when potted plants in the home start to flower too - it always seems such a miracle to me :)
 

AND IN OTHER NEWS
We are Celebrating Easter in the most beautiful spring sunshine! My daughter and eldest son are with us and Eva has a young pal to stay.


They’ll be having a treasure hunt where they'll be looking for carrot sticks together!

Sending hugs,

9 comments:

  1. Love the crisp look of the masking, gorgeous card, Happy Easter :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Vicky hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family. Beautiful stamping in soft colour tones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous spring-like card with plenty of interest. The addition of inky layering gives it depth despite being one layer only!

    Lovely picture of Eva and her pal!

    Happy Easter xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO beautiful Vicky, love the delicate colouring and design.
    Happy Easter. ENJOY, I know you will with your children home.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good at masking to give depth and it is always so subtle and this is perfect here...just like the card you sent me-did you see it got showcased at LIM-I did send you a Whatsapp to thank you xx. One stunning card this is. And congrats on your daughter getting married and have a wonder full day with your Family. It is Callum's Birthday so we are off to have some fun-sending my hugs and lets catch up in the week xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A simple design with a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so admire anyone who can make a one layer card I for one cannot yours is so beautiful, the crisp masking is something I never thought of and you have totally inspired me.Glad you had a lovely Easter ours is this weekend and hoping for some sun and hopefully another swim in the Med.The doggies are so cute,how did they go with their Easter carrot hunt .Mine love carrots too

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous masking and blending, and a gorgeously CAS card, Vicki! I love the idea of the dogs having a treasure hunt 😄
    Thanks for playing along with us at Seize The Birthday 🥳

    ReplyDelete
  9. The masking and blending on this card are so effective Vicky - you are the master of one layer creations!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)