Pages

Thursday 9 November 2023

A candlelit Christmas

Hello, crafting friends!
 
It's Thursday and there's a new board at Tic Tac Toe Challenge! Joanne is in charge this week and what fab inspiration she's provided:
 
 
I'm deep in Christmas card mode now so I chose the diagonal from top left - Sequins/Holly/Navy - to make a festive card using jewel tones.
 

This card started with a card base, masked at top, left and right, and on the diagonal two thirds of the way down. Inside the masked area, I sponged navy ink, then clapped wet hands over it for a starry/snowy look. While it was drying, I reached for a white snippet of card and stamped a candle from a new set a lovely friend gave me in the summer: Christmas Candle by That's Crafty. I coloured it with alcohol markers and coloured pencils and fussy cut it.
 

Before attaching the candle to my background, I stamped a few pine branches for a bit of depth. To cover the bottom of the candle, I die cut some holly leaves from a snippet of glossy card which I sponged with green ink. The glossy card gives a lovely texture! To finish the card, I added sequins to represent berries and stamped the sentiment from the candle set in navy.
 
Okay, it's time for you to play! Choose a row, column or diagonal from the board and make a card using the ideas in each square. Do hop over to the Tic Tac Toe Challenge site and check out the fab samples made by my team mates; you'll find the Linky Tool at the bottom of the post and you can use it to link up your own creation with us. We can't wait to see what you make!
 
CHALLENGES
I'm playing at Make My Monday where Dawn's theme is Lighting The Way; also Stamping Sensations where the theme is Get Ready For Christmas; I used this stamp set for the first time so I'm sharing at Darnell's NBUS Challenge; and I'm romping up just in time to hand in my homework at The Snippets Playground - I used white snippets for the candle and the holly.

 
AND IN OTHER NEWS
When I was a little girl, we had some ancient Christmas decorations to put on the tree. We would never have thought to have a decorated tree before Christmas Eve so, on that day, my father would go out into the woods cut down a fir tree, embed it in a piece of wood and bring it home. My brother and sister and I would wait in a fever of excitement while he checked the tree lights for blown bulbs, then, when all was fixed, the lights were arranged on the tree. Only then would we be allowed to help decorate it. There were fragile glass ornaments, strings of glass beads and, incredibly, some little tin candle holders with tiny wax candles in them. I looked online to see if I could find any like them and look:
 

German shop Blumchen.com has some very similar! A health and safety nightmare (although we were NEVER allowed to light our candles!) Happy memories :)

Sending hugs,

16 comments:

  1. A fabulous layout and floral embellishments around your candle,the background is like a snowy night. I have a few vintage Christmas ornaments and would love candles on my tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card and your story. In my childhood we also didn't put up a tree until Xmas eve and we had some vintage ornaments too. I like the design of your card and your candle is very pretty. Thanks for joining us at MMM, Johanna DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminders of my own childhood there Vicky, our tree never went up till Christmas Eve either, but in the Fens no forest to cut down our own tree! I still have just the one ornament that was handed down by my Grandfather, so many years old.

    Such effective masking which has made for a delightful card, many thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Christmas card in those lovely rich colours.

    Oh the excitement of Christmas as a child. A special feeling rarely felt in adulthood! Bliss xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silly me - I was so wrapped up in Christmas memories I neglected to say thank you for coming to play in the Snippets Playground with this brilliant card. Thanks!!!! See you up in the treehouse for hygge hit chocolate & a natter later XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was meant to say HOT chocolate - not the more violent version - HIT chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card has a very calming effect. I now like to light a lot of candles again. It's so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The candle looks like it really has wax dripping from it. Fantastic make and a lovely layout with the holly leaves, so creative. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun memories, Vicky! They are amazing in the photo. We still have ornaments from Kevin's childhood and they were old then! Your candle design is sublime! You did such an excellent job blending, clapping snow, and adding those branches for depth! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning card, your colouring is just awesome on the candle especially. A gorgeous design. AH! Yes, those lights that wouldn't work when one was blown! We had to wait for a new one to be bought before the lights would be bright and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Vicky, what a stunning Christmas card - it's absolute perfection! Stunning design and wonderful colouring - as always. Oh yes, I lived in Germany as a child and we also had those pretty holders with candles in on the Christmas tree. Same as you, they were never lit. My Dad made our first set of electricity driven tree lights, using pygmy sized bulbs which he'd painted! Memories, as Sarn says.

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful, Vicky! Love that candle and sentiment and the holly makes it so elegant! Fantastic starry look to the background!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card. Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vicky this card is stunning - you are so clever at creating this kind of 'scene'. Your colouring creates so much depth to your design - it give the candle such a realistic look and feel, without the hazard of the naked flame!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the deep colours you've used on this gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)