Pages

Wednesday 21 February 2024

One layer of thistles

Hello crafting friends!
 
I'm fascinated by thistles, which always seem like some kind of prehistoric throwback plant to me. I love the architectural shape of their heads and their bright flare of petals. But they're perhaps not the plant to be skipping through with bare feet, which leads me on to today's card!
 

It's a quick and simple one layer card made with Funky Fossil's Thistle stencil which I haven't used for a while. Taping the stencil off the edge of a thick card base, I sponged Stampin' Up's Mint Macaroon and Fresh Freesia inks into the image and then added more thistle heads to build up the design.
 

Sometimes, when life gets tough, it can feel a bit like walking through a garden of thistles barefoot, so I thought this would be a comforting sentiment to go with the image. I finished with some clear enamel dots to make it look as if it had been raining too. Probably should have added some mud... lol!
 
CHALLENGES
I've seen some amazing cards around Blogland using a mint and lilac colour combination courtesy of Color Hues, so I shall link this card up there; at Make My Monday the theme is Love and, as Valentine's Day is past now, I hope my 'Love and Prayers' card fits the bill! I'm also joining in at the Stencil Fun Challenge where Anything Goes with an optional theme of Love/Hearts.


AND IN OTHER NEWS
I'm always amazed at the way dogs just gallop through fields of thistles - and nettles for that matter! I understand that their feet pads are like leather so it's as if they are wearing shoes, but pushing their way through nettles and brambles must hurt their little noses surely! Apparently not! My OH comes from the northeast of England where the folk are well known for their tolerance of inclement weather conditions and if you ask tenderly about his well-being, he replies "Felt nowt!"
 
Sending hugs,

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely stencilled card with a great sentiment too. The little dewdrops are the perfect embellishment xxx

    ReplyDelete

  2. I too am from the Northeast but live in the US. Not familiar with the OH and DH I keep seeing on my stamping blogs. Can you explain please.
    Love following you and the Blonde Ladies. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thistles, such a resilient colourful plant,your colours and stencilling are beautiful Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your thistles are a great way to incorporate the Color Hues colours Vicki. Your comment about your OH made me smile and reminded me of my teenage son on his way out for a night on the town with his mates, no jacket, even with lying snow!! They make em tough in Yorkshire! Thanks for sharing at Color Hues. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One layer cards can often be a challenge. Yours is wonderful, and I love the way you tucked the sentiment into the thistles! Thanks for adding this beauty to the gallery at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicky, the Scot in me LOVES this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know Vicky I feel like I am transported into another world when I visit you your thoughts and feeling about life is wonderful just like your beautiful card I also love Thistles I have seen them growing wild but they look to good for that the stencilled image and colours are just perfect so is the sentiment I always get worried when the dogs sniff the Nettles I always thinks that they will start scratching but they never do maybe it's a dog thing, lol.
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I like thistles to look at. I think they are interesting. I also really like your card and the sentiment is a perfect choice. I agree life can be thorny so this card works really well for showing you care. Loved your comments about dogs. Mine gets the burrs into her coat which is a pain for her and for me, but the sting doesn't seem to bother her. She won't go through blackberry bushes though. Thanks for joining us at MMM, Johanna DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous one-layer card! I had to google the "Felt nowt". He's one tough guy! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely design, Vicky, with the beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely, design, Vicky, with the beautiful thistles coming from the corner and the comforting sentiment nestled in with them. I'm glad your doggies don't suffer when dashing through a field full of thistles; it seems dogs as a whole don't have much fear lol! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely card with us at The Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A perfect choice for this color challenge, Vicky! Thistles are fascinating to look at...from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous card Vicky, I love the CAS with the beautiful sentiment. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful card, I actually grow 'globe thistles' in my gardens, they ARE fascinating!
    Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
    Diane SF Co-Owner
    {Nellies Nest}
    {Stencil Fun}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vicky, Such a gorgeous card and much better on paper than galloping through thistles barefooted in real life. So happy you played along at Color Hues. BTW, you might want to check out the winner's post at STB! Wink wink!😜

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is simply lovely. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful use of the challenge colors on this CAS card Vicky! Thank you so much for playing at Color Hues !

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)