Pages

Monday 26 February 2024

Swimming in winter

Hello, crafting friends!
 
First of all, here's a message for the lovely lady who asked me what I meant when I used the abbreviation OH. I do hope you see this!
 
When I arrived in Blogland, I too saw people using OH and DD and wondered what they meant. By context I began to understood that DD was Darling Daughter. From there it was clear that DH was Dear Husband. But OH? I could only suppose it meant Old Husband which seemed a bit irreverent but then a friend told me it was Other Half and all became clear. I use OH now because it makes me giggle (but don't tell DH!!)

Okay, let's move onto a little light crafting! There are a couple of challenges in Blogland calling for things with wings, which encouraged me to pull out a favourite stamp set by Craft Consortium called Riverbank featuring a beautiful swan.


My Arteza watercolour brush pens were on my desk jumping up and down shouting 'pick me'!! So I went and got my jam jar of water and my brushes, and used them to create a simple background for the swan. First I stamped the swan on watercolour paper, then I dampened the paper around the swan with water. It is so easy from there to add strokes of colour with the pens and move it around on the paper to give the illusion of cloudy skies or water. I added some simple green shapes for the river banks too and left it to dry.
 

The swan was easy to colour with the same blue grey. I left that to dry while I stamped foliage and twigs and trees over my bank shapes to add detail. After all that, I went in and added darker details and finished off the swan with an orange beak and black accents. The sentiment is a favourite from Uniko's Floral Vines. I trimmed my panel and mounted it on brown card before attaching to my card front.

CHALLENGES
Stamping Sensations' February challenge is all about Animals, Birds and Creatures so I'm linking up there; Liz has chosen the theme of Things That Fly for Allsorts this week and although Mr Swan is currently swimming, I am sure he could put on an impressive display of flying if he chose!


 
AND IN OTHER NEWS

The swan stamp I used today came into my mind when I took the golden girls to walk by the river. I deeply regretted this because although the flood water has receded, the banks are knee deep in mud. That's fine when you have canine claws but not so much when you are wearing old wellies!! We had the place to ourselves (as everyone else had the sense to walk somewhere else!) and half way up the river, we came across a pair of beautiful swans gliding up the river. Eva learned a long time ago that swans are not to be messed with, but I'm afraid having a naughty little sister emboldens her to imagine she is a fearless huntress! I had to be quite stern but we walked past the swans with the dogs on lead and me explaining how we just have to be Grown Up Lady Dogs sometimes and behave with Dignity and Decorum. Needless to say, when we had safely passed the swans and I let them off lead again, dignity and decorum were the last things on their minds! Sigh.

Sending hugs,

17 comments:

  1. WOW - that is a stunning birthday card. Looks like you painted it completely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for explaining what OH and DH mean! Much appreciated. I never forget to read your emails and I love to hear about your adventures with the blonde girls. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really beautiful card and your coloring is superb. I love the stories of the dogs, keep doing them with pictures too if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely serene scene, Vicky. The watercolour background is beautiful. I've often seen swans flying when we've visited our local Wetlands Centre.... they are an impressive sight. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week using the Things That Fly option.
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous and serene card Vicky, beautiful colouring and a gorgeous scene. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new photo, Vicky! And your card today, wow! This is truly a work of art! I have the Artezas and don't use them; thank you for the inspiration. Great Other News today, too. You always make me smile or laugh with your fun doggie outings! Hugs, Darnell

    p.s. I can't believe you said that about OH! You know me and initials and aaaacronyms and I tried for ages to figure it out. I also wondered if it was Old Husband!🤣I finally got up the nerve to ask one of my British friends because Other Half is not used over here much - or at least not anywhere I've lived. Sometimes it still makes me raise an eyebrow when someone talks about SIL. Is that son-in-law or sister-in-law? And over here we sometimes say Better Half, so FYI, in case you ever see BH! We keep each other on our toes!❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swans like Snowdrops are not the easiest thing to deliver on a card being white, but you really nailed it here Vicky, beautifully done. Many thanks for joining this months Stamping Sensations challenge.

    We always get a food few Swans around here as they come/go up to Welney Wash. But since it's been like an extended river for miles leading across to it lots have decamped to the dried fields to feed and it's like a white sea looking across the Fen some days.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, stunning card Vicky, your beak detail is awesome! Did make me laugh….see, you could have done with a wet suit too😉😂, but you were absolutely right that there’s no way I could squish my self in one….not even a leg 😂😂😂xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A stunning peaceful scene with a beautiful swan as the focal element, a beautiful birthday card. As always your doggy tale made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vicky your stories are so good to read I really enjoy them it's like reading a little book and I am always transported to where you are I can visualise the setting so easily, your Swan card is perfection I love how you have done the water and added the greenery I am very wary of Swans buts they are so majestic and regal a superb card
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never have known that the swan was a stamp if I hadn't read your post of course you have fancied it up with your superb watercolouring and I simply adore it.
    When I first started blogging I was scared to ask what CAS meant hahah

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered about OH, too. I'm glad she asked! Such a peaceful scene on your card today, and artful use of your watercolors. And the girls... we live in parallel universes. So familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This swan is beautiful and so is the watercolor background that you've painted around her! You are so talented, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely serene card. Although swans aren't always serene are they! I know of a paddleboarder who got attacked by a swan and some of its feathers got embedded in the board! Anyway back to the lovely card and thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, there's Other Half and BH which is what you are (Better Half)! heeheehee What a lovely swan and card - it's evident you are quite talented with the WC's, even in brush pens. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky for us that you met the swans, otherwise this breathtakingly beautiful card would not have been created.
    I've given up trying to explain anything to my dogs, there's just a clear NO and the leash... *laugh*

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)