Pages

Tuesday 6 February 2024

Snippety hellibores

Hello, crafting friends!
 
The other day, the postman came to my house with an exciting package full of stamps and dies. It was a bumper prize from The Snippets Playground that I was lucky enough to win in the draw when we were celebrating 12 years of the lovely Miss Di wielding the keys to The Playground. It was thrilling to examine each item and think about what I could do with it but, because the goodies are Christmas-themed, I have put them to the back of the NBUS box for an fun-filled moment when I'm ready for some festive action! Before I did so though, I spotted a little single hellibore in a Crafters Companion Christmas stamp set...
 

... and I thought I'd rustle up a card with not a fleck of glitter or tinsel to be seen! I stamped the flower in pale pink ink, multiple times on white card snippets, then coloured them with markers, fussy cut them and set them aside. I didn't know what hellibore leaves looked like so I looked them up and found they were similar to passion flower leaves. Bingo! Out came my Uniko Passiflora stamp set!
 

The leaves from the set were stamped onto a card base in two shades of green ink. The hellibore flower heads were arranged over the leaves. I glued them down once I was satisfied with the arrangement, trimming the overhang at the edges of the card base with paper snips.
 

The sentiment is a favourite from a long-retired SU set. I stamped it first in black ink using my stamping platform, then in the dark green ink to create a very dark shade of the green - don't know if you can see that on your screen. I find this is a good way to tie a sentiment into a coloured image.
 

Here are the snippets I used - the off cut strips were the perfect size for the hellibores! I only used one strip in the end, so look out for another hellibore card here soon!!

CHALLENGES
I'm nipping over to The Snippets Playground with my homework and will take advantage of the warmer weather to have a go on the swings. Head Prefect Sarn mentioned there might be hot chocolate in the tree house so I've got some squirty cream and sprinkles in my satchel! Come and join me!


I'm also joining in with the fun bingo grid at Allsorts, choosing the Distress Ink/Green/Flowers diagonal from top left.

AND IN OTHER NEWS
I'm afraid the golden girls found a dead squirrel out on our walk today so I've had to go for a lie down on a chaise longue with the smelling salts at hand. All my 'Give' training paid off and I managed to get the corpse off Lulu (with a poo bag serving as a makeshift glove) and I chucked it over the hedge. Off we went, with the girls on lead until we got round the corner. I thought I had dodged a bullet but as the path looped round, Lulu suddenly broke away and galloped towards the Scene of the Crime! She returned shortly afterwards with the wretched squirrel in her mouth... I know when I'm beaten so I just hurried away with Eva on lead and Lulu followed us and finally dropped her prize. Relating this story to my youngest son on the phone later, he laughed and said she'd probably convinced herself that she had tracked the squirrel for three days and had fearlessly attacked and overcome it all by herself! Bit like those fishermen who have always caught a massive fish but er... threw it back in the water of course!!

Sending hugs,


13 comments:

  1. You made a beautiful Thank You card with your prize Vicky,the flowers look so delicate.The squirrel take made me smile.Thank you for your kind words and support

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the win Vicky. If you want to liaise on a time I'll bring something extra to warm us, it was mighty cold on the swings yesterday. A delicate and pretty creation.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty floral thank you card here Vicky.
    Once you've finished playing on the swings, come up to the Treehouse and I'll make you a nice mug of hot chocolate and you can squirt your cream on top! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you're thrilling me again with a card. It's such a great idea to stamp the leaves first and then glue the flowers on. Perfect!!
    Yesterday Kamo proudly arrived with a dead bird (unfortunately not for the first time). Luckily he is still keen on treats and so I was able to take the dead bird away from him relatively easily. After that he looked for him for a while... *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty and a great use of the Christmas rose stamp. Sorry to hear about the not so secret squirrel episode! Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the win Vicky and your card is beautiful I love it
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your son's imagination, Vicky! I also love these sweet hellebores! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful card, Vicky. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week. Congratulations on your bumper win over in the Playground, I was lucky enough to win the other prize. I’ll meet you over by the swings, I’ll bring the marshmallows to put on the hot chocolate and squirty cream.
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a pretty card, love the coordinated sentiment. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous Thank You card Vicky! So glad you like your bumper Playground win too. I did chuckle about the squirrel incident (s). I would have just run away to be honest - or gone as fast as my legs would carry me.

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful card I love the soft tones and great use of your snippets and congratulations on your win. I would have fainted over the squirrel incident and would definitely need a strong libation afterwards to calm my nerves.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW absolutely stunning, Vicky. I love your hellibores and your design.

    Hugs
    Anke

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Do leave me a comment - it always makes my day! Vicky x


(In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) you comment in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.)